Hey guys! I went and got myself a 12' aluminum Jon Boat that I will be registering Thurs or Fri. My question is, what is the best way to wire it up for the trolling motor (and possible future accessories when the dust settles and the fact that I let my wife know 10 mins before getting home to expect a boat to be showing up )

Should the battery be covered? ect

Thanks in advance, I know there is a wealth of knowledge on here, so I figured I'd ask!!

Posted Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:51 pm

It all depends on how detailed your going to get. Some of us guys with Jon boats have tricked them out with front and rear casting decks, storage compartments and many more features. 1st you must decide... 12v or 24v. IMO 24v is the way to go. You will have no problem getting 8+ hours of fishing without having to change batteries. Get the most Lbs of thrust you can, 70-80 if possible. Although 80% you will never need to go that fast. It's good to have when you do.
The batteries do not have to be covered. I have mine tricked out with the decks so mine are but I also have a crawdad and I just stick the batteries in the back when I use it and they are fine. You want to use 6 gauge wire.Use the 6 gauge ring connectors but snip the ends so that they are noe a "C" insted of round. This makes it easier to take the wires on and off without having to fully remove the wing nuts. Run the wires in the groove on the side of the boat, go through where the bench seats are and run them to the front. Install a plug and you are good to go.

Posted Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:26 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links