Hey guys, i've gotten really interested in Carp fishing in the last few months, but I have no idea where to begin. Could anyone give me a hand, or link me to a good guide? I've checked google out, but i get a lot of articles from Europe, where they're making their own baits with a lot of weird stuff. Any help would be appreciated!

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:00 pm

go to the malden river get bread and hold on 20lb fish are common only problem is the river is polluted and u line will be black when ur done.

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:47 pm

What size hook is used

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:50 pm

i used 4/0 or 5/0 ,i like to use bread like a french loaf of the hard stuff float it no weight big boys over their where comcast is in malden. also just fyi wrights has no sm only lm and u can park in the fire lane their near the skating rink. if ur ever interested i fish for larry i have a boat and need some fishing partners let me know jimmy

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Yea that sounds cool . I got a kayak, so yea we'll have to get together and do some fishing.

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:20 pm

sounds good let me know when u get some time

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm heading out to walden pond with my girlfriend tomorrow at 5AM if you wana come out there

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:29 pm

gotta work

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:36 pm

hey robert, any luck with the Carp fishing?
i'm English (yes one of them damn Carp crazy Europeans!)
seems to me here in MA most of the Carp here are found in rivers, not ponds like back home.... as the weather warms Carp should become 100% vegetarian with the exception of luncheon meat for some reason.... so Bread, sweetcorn, cheese (sharper the better), small part-soaked dog biscuits and strawberries are about the best bait for carp.
i use a very basic rig personally which is described on my profile. i hope this helps if you still need it, if not.... crap i did all this typing! LOL
have fun out there!

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:25 am

I've only actually fished for carp a few times, but I was out on spy pond in my kayak and I could see huge carp swimming under me, I was throwing bread right in front of them but they wouldn't take it. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:53 am

i was on charles last sa and caught some decent carps
normally i just go lm's but i had some wonderbread and gave it a try

i made the test of hooking the bread on a tiny trebble hook and had it swim under surface with a wobbler - no bite

then i changed to have it sink to the bottom just hook and bread and good - took 15 mins and my rod started bending 180 degrees downward and the sucka almost pulled me in

it took me at least 15 mins of hard core fight and close to breaking my reel but i got it in the boat - first time my net was to small for a fish

the fight these guys give is unbelievable - and that was just a 7lbs er
thats the point that makes me go for carp more and more

wonder bread - tiny trebble hook - sink on the bottom = carp with a great fight

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:24 am

yeah, Carp genrally only take bread or dog buscuits off the top for an hour at Dawn and an hour or so at Dusk. another thing i have found to be true, if you can see him, he can see you and generally will take NOTHING, frustrating as hell i know, and conterary to belief, Carp like to sunbathe near the surface occasionally, when they do this and you can see them, forget it. i have caught them however and HUGE ones, never the ones i can see, and always on the bottom with mixed frozen veg or luncheon meat on the bottom.

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:14 am

Carp fishing is as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. That is why I enjoy it. Have a simple strategy will catch you fish, no doubt. The more you learn, and the more you can adapt the more and bigger fish you will catch. Which is the same to be said of fishing in general I suppose.

Few things I want to comment on..carp are not vegetarians. They are omnivores. They will eat a wide variety of things on a daily basis. These include but are not limited to various weeds, roots, insects, shrimp, crayfish, mussels, leeches,worms, fallen fruits/berries etc etc. They will freely take food from the surface, the bottom and anywhere in the middle. This is good for the fishermen. Carp are curious by nature and the only way to see if something is food, is to put it in their mouth.

That said most people , as have mentioned here start off with very simple baits like sweet corn or bread or oat balls. Typically on a size 6 hook ( though sizes 4 and 8's are commonly used. any size with a /0 is waaaay to big). I prefer the hair rig for the better hook ups and lack of gut/throat hooks. ( The basic hair rig ) Please try to avoid treble hooks when fishing catch and release as they do unnecessary damage to the fish. Barbless are a much better way to go as well, as regardless of how careful you are there is always more damage when barbed.

I recommend using 12-20 pound line, especially in waters known for big fish. Anything less runs too much of a risk of snapping off which is never good for us or them. Keep a loose drag or open bail..I have seen many a fishermen lose a rod on a run.

I have also fly fished for carp both off the surface and bottom...I have found that carp will take things off the surface all day long as long as you use a bit of caution when approaching them. Approach like a rampaging bull through the shore and they will not be seen Razz

Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions or check out some of our videos and bait tutorials on www.blackstonecarp.com

Most of all have fun..carp fishing is a slower more patient style then bass fishing and i have seen many an angler get frustrated at the lack of action. Maybe keep one rid for carp and use another for lures and fish the shoreline etc while you wait. Carp can be a great fish to go after with some really strong runs. They have a bad reputation in most areas sadly and I really do ask that if people go after them, please treat them with respect.

Posted Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:45 am

Hey Blackstonecarp - I was just watching your videos yesterday. Nice work! If gas prices ever come down, I'll drive down to the Blackstone and check it out. I live in Dedham, so I figure I may as well work the Charles before I start driving and searching different waters.

Posted Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:25 pm

blackstonecarp

Few things I want to comment on..carp are not vegetarians. They are omnivores. They will eat a wide variety of things on a daily basis. These include but are not limited to various weeds, roots, insects, shrimp, crayfish, mussels, leeches,worms, fallen fruits/berries etc etc. They will freely take food from the surface, the bottom and anywhere in the middle. This is good for the fishermen. Carp are curious by nature and the only way to see if something is food, is to put it in their mouth.

Hi Blackstone, like i said when the weather gets hot in summer, you MAY find they become ALMOST 100% vegitarian and i was refering mostly to European Carp having little experience with your American variety, but im finding they are basically the same.
winter, spring and fall carp take ALL of the above and in Europe we will actually fish for Carp with Maggot, they love them. kind of a shame i cant find them here.
Carp are NOT vegitarian i should have probably explained myself better!

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:31 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links