teamtrout

Everyone knows Spot has a potential MA record bass in it

I doubt it, but it did have this

http://www.onthewater.com/12-year-old-catches-and-releases-possible-state-record-bluegill/

Posted Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:23 pm

kman

teamtrout

Everyone knows Spot has a potential MA record bass in it

I doubt it, but it did have this

http://www.onthewater.com/12-year-old-catches-and-releases-possible-state-record-bluegill/

Yeah, I saw that before - very impressive!! Nice to know its still out there.

And the small group of fishermen who call Spot their home lake, will all agree that there are records in there. It is big, deep, has tons of forage, and almost no fishing pressure in most spots. Now I suppose I don't know if there are any 15 pounders, but they get above 10 for sure. I don't know, from a pond like Spot, it wouldn't surprise me.

Posted Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:47 pm

And Rich, those are some nice swimbaits!!!!

Posted Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:48 pm

I dont doubt double digit bass in Spot. They would need to be gorged with 3 pounds of fish, and that of course, does happen. For the record, I live 4 minutes away from Spot. I have always lived in the area. I have fished it before it was opened to public. The old MDC guys on horseback days. It does have conditions to grow large fish, but so do tons of other places. The legend of Spot pond is fun to talk about etc but it simply is not lake Okeechobee. Just my opinion thats all, I agree it has some monsters in there.

Keep in mind, Spot has been drained and dredged two times in my lifetime of 43 years. I can tell you what lakes and ponds the fish were put in. I dont recall hearing about anything off the scale unusual.

Posted Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Yeah, I agree with all that you said. Though there aren't too many double digits, there are plenty in the 5 pound range, so swim bait fishing is awesome there.

And that's actually pretty cool that you got to fish if before it was open to the public. I've heard about the draining - from what I heard fish were put into Quarter Mile, Dark Hallow, and some of the fells reservoirs. How long ago were they drained? It would have been cool to see the bottom of that pond, like the structure and fish in it.

Posted Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Like these?
[/quote]

Nice work Rich! Glad to see your still amking them .

I might have to grab one for next year

Posted Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:35 pm

creaturefiend

haha rich pushing his product btw rich how much?? @bassturds is so right bog ponds are so underrated just don't go to mine lol i know the pond that the record came out of supposedly, 2 different sources have confirmed it, rich might know my bog pond area id love to get on atwood

yea i dont want to see you in my bogs either haha
i know where the state record came from also.

the ponds with herring runs that arent pressured are goldmines. not like wakeby, or any of the bigger ponds with runs.

Posted Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:45 pm

teamtrout

Yeah, I agree with all that you said. Though there aren't too many double digits, there are plenty in the 5 pound range, so swim bait fishing is awesome there.

And that's actually pretty cool that you got to fish if before it was open to the public. I've heard about the draining - from what I heard fish were put into Quarter Mile, Dark Hallow, and some of the fells reservoirs. How long ago were they drained? It would have been cool to see the bottom of that pond, like the structure and fish in it.

I am not sure the last time it was drained. I do know the first time was very late 70's or early 80's. All natural features were removed, humps, structure, etc. It was filled with gravel and rocks. I have vivid memories what it looked like entirely empty. I fished there very few times before it was public. I did not like dealing with the Mounties.

I am surprised they put fish in Dark Hollow, seems like difficult truck access. The member here "Grizz" said they did and he knew people involved. I take him at his word. I am not sure if any were put in quarter mile, but seems logical that they would be. Quarter mile had a winter fish kill in 2011, before that the fishing was real good there. They definitely put some in the Fells reservoirs. Speaking of which, IMO is far better fishing than Spot. North used to be fairly safe, but since opening the trails to hikers etc, they have really cracked down. Forget about Middle and South, you will be busted for sure if you push your luck. John Rambo who patrols it takes his job VERY seriously. South res is a fish factory, loaded with huge smallies. I am convinced there are hidden cams there. Walk through and usually no probs. take a cast and they are on you like you crossed the DMZ.

Another location they put Spot fish is the pond off montvale ave, under the bridge that crosses the tracks. Tough access but you can get toppers in there. Some slobs in there!

As you know Spot has monsters in it. I remember about 10 years ago all around straw point you could see molten crawfish shells everywhere you looked. I dont see them there like I used to. At that time that cove was thick with fish, it was unreal. Obviously crayfish still there but not like it was then. No doubt huge crops of crayfish spring up in different areas all around Spot. Find those areas and its the Goldie Locks Zone. Spot can be tough but the rewards are there if you put in your time.

I used to get pike shiners at Arlington bait back when Dick was running the store. I would go to Spot an hour before dark. It never failed I would catch at least one five pounder. I never use live bait but back then it was a rush seeing a 7 inch shiner getting slammed on the surface.

When Spot was made a offline backup res and opened to the public, I went there at ice out and walked the banks. I saw some off the biggest bass I have ever seen just cruising the edges in zombie mode. Nothing short of snagging them would catch them. The legend of Spot is real. I just dont think that equals state record fish. Spot pond bass seem to behave by a different set of rules, they laugh at most presentations. Go laterally west to the fells reservoirs and its like shooting fish in a barrel. The water is just as clear as Spot, I never understood the behavior difference. They are there to be had, good luck to those who try. Just really catch a double digit, not a 6 plus called a 10.5.

Spot pond fun fact: The big island used to hold some public events, including wrestling matches. there is a plaque out there dedicated to a wrestler who was killed in a match. I have nothing left to say about Spot pond. lol

Posted Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:13 am

Wow! Thanks for all the info kman! I am probably gonna spend more time at the fells reservoirs next year. I fished them a bit this summer, and liked them.

Posted Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:43 am

be aware, they can fine you $500 for doing so, yes five hundred.

Posted Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:05 pm

For those of you that use large swimbaits, how to you keep them from being snagged in cover or weedy locations (i.e. Attitash, Fosters)? I'm an exclusive 1 oz. spinnerbait user, but I made a stop at Bass Pro and saw the Z9 series and other types of large swimbaits. To change things up, I may switch next year just to try something different. I'm only partial to large spinnerbaits because that's what I have success on, but never a 7lb or over. Of course, the baby pickerel in profile pic attacked my 1 oz. spinner, so then there's that.

Posted Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:36 am

I usually use soft plastic swimbaits (Like Huddlestons and such), and they don't get snagged nearly as much as I would have thought. They are rigged with fairly small hooks for the lure size, and don't catch a ton of snags. I usually fish them in deep, rocky lakes so I don't catch many weeds (although I do lose a couple a year to big rocks). But if you throw one through a bunch of weeds, they will not go right through like a texas-rigged worm. However, you can probably throw them in a weedy lake with out too n\much trouble.

Huddleston (they are pretty expensive though, but do work well) makes a weedless swimbait too. But it has considerably worse hooking percentage. And I would rather pay $7 for a 6 inch swimbait at Cabelas than pay $25 for a 6 inch Huddleston.

Again, I don't have much experience fishing them at weedy ponds, just at big, snagless lakes. There may be some people out there with different advice.

Posted Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:30 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links