I have never caught one of these, nor met anyone who has. I know they stock a small amount into some select lakes that can support them. This was my target species for this year, but I was unsuccessful right after ice out. Does anyone have any tips for locating and catching the small amount of these in the massive lakes they inhabit? I tried Jamacia Pond and Horn Pond last Winter/early Spring. Any advice would be much appriciated. Thanks.

Posted Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:48 pm

Good Luck. . They no longer stock them and if you look at the Mass Wildlife Website for pin fish None have been entered .

Posted Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:52 pm

Oh, they no longer stock them? I know they used to stock a few hundred in the Winter/Fall.

Posted Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:54 pm

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/hunting-fishing-wildlife-watching/fishing/broodstock-salmon-stocking.html

This was the last stocking they listed. They did not stock in the spring of this year.

Posted Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:01 pm

troutfreak is right. salmon stocking is a thing of the past. I hav caught 1. I know of a few people that have caught them

Posted Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:15 pm

good luck. ive been trying for years! havent even come close.

you have a better chance of winning the powerball tonight then catching a broodstock in the next 5 years

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:54 am

they dont stock alot! people fish em out quick and they die off! odds are id fish for someting else or go to maine,new hampshire and NY for salmon

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:55 am

the hatchery the state used to get them from in VT was destroyed during hurricane Irene, then the feds discontinued the atlantic salmon restoration program. Supposedly the last stocking was dec 2013 and that will be it.

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:18 am

sull155

Supposedly the last stocking was dec 2013 and that will be it.

Some of these went into Horn Pond. They had to break the ice to dump them.

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 am

I believe that there is a chance of holdovers in some ponds stocked in the past.. Those will be of good size if caught .The places selected for stocking were selected for reasons like chance of growth ,holding over and water conditions .
Comet pond Hubbardston is a possibility for catching one . It has a launch and a horse power limit for motors ..

Posted Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:19 pm

back in winter of 2013 i would ice fish Pleasant pond in hamilton for some brownies and bows and people beside me caught two 8 pounders i have actually seen some really big ones taken out of there

Posted Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:39 pm

I have a video confirming of one of the last stockings that I had seen of salmon last spring. It was in forest lake and I have proof from some of the guys that there may be landlocks or brookies introduced instead to try to replace them.

Posted Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:10 pm

If your close to the merrimac valley area. Try forest lake. Last winter i pulled one out of the ice and so did a buddy of mine. I was jigging with a gold swetish pimp and he used salmon eggs trying for trout. Mine was 2.5 lbs his was 3/4 lbs.

Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:59 pm

I pulled somewhere 32-35 broodstock salmon at 2013 year at specific location. It was only in April. Before and after that month, I just sucked. This event was at two years ago. Last year, I could able managed only one at last week of December. None of them made 10lb barrier.

So, you know that Broodstock salmons are disbanded at last year. You will be find hard time to get one out of any lakes around here.

Bottom line, both Landlocked and Broodstock salmon is basically same fish except Broodstock salmon cant spawn anymore. So, if you dont mind about landlocked salmon, you would have your luck in Quabbin or Waschusetts.

Posted Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:50 am

They actually stocked wachusett n quabin. The chu they put 5000 land locks couple months back. The q they put even more in.

Posted Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:11 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links