Hey all,

I'm in the market for a new 2017 boat and could use any insight anyone might have. I'm currently deciding between a Triton TRX 19 w/225 Pro XS, Skeeter ZX 200 w/Yamaha 200 SHO, or Stratos 201 XL Evo w/250 E-TEC HO?

Originally I was looking at Nitro Z19 for the price point but after some research realized they still use wood in the construction and resale is tough.

Anyway, Anyone out there with experience on more than one of these??

Thanks

Posted Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:07 pm

Its a loaded question, there are so many factors involved here.

First off, Im on boat #8. I've had a couple of junks and some really nice offshore boats. A few things I realized that I didnt already know....holes in the water that suck up $$.
My current boat: 17.5ft alum bass boat with a 50 yamaha. I can take that anywhere without a worry. Placed I wouldnt dare take my Ranger. I can drop that into places that dont have ramps. The boat does 35 w/ 2 guys. We dont have lakes like they do in the south where you have to run 50mi's.

Look at the new prices of the boats your looking at. Then look at what they are worth when they are 20yrs old....they all end up at the same price. Almost all of them are basically the same except for deck layouts and motors. Older boats were different, some were great and other were junks (nitro). Motors are the biggest expense. I can tell you from being around boats for 30 yrs, Yamaha, suzuki, tohatsu are good motors (all japanese). Mercs, johnsons, evinrudes are okay. Mariners, and Force...total loads.

I wouldnt buy new, yours going to take a $$ beating. Buy a good used boat from a reputable dealer and get one with a Yamaha and you'll have plenty of extra $$ to upgrade electronics and not panic about going into the shallows bumping a stump or a rock. Reynolds and Thayers always have some good used boats. Also, a good dealer is not going to sell a boat with a motor that could have problems.

My $.02

Posted Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks for the response. The problem I'm running into with used 20ft boats are that, like my used truck, they really aren't much cheaper than the $50,000 new boats I've been pricing out with no hours and full warranties. You also get better financing terms on new ones.

Posted Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:21 pm

Reynolds had a 04 20' Skeeter w/225 yamaha for 17K. Its gone now and I almost pulled the trigger on it but I opted for an alum. Keep your eyes open as both dealers are always getting good trade ins.

Another thing to keep in mind, this is the north. These boats have lower hrs than southern boats and also bass boats have even lower hrs. Trolling motors have the hrs on them.

The bottom line, you wont catch any more fish with new vs used. However, you may catch more with the used cause you will be a bit more aggressive with a used one.
I tell my boys all the time, "you want a new boat....if your a good fisherman they will sponsor you"

Posted Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:46 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links