anyone catch fish with their faces deteriorated? I caught a 3 1/2 lb bass today with half of his mouth rotted out. whats up with that? im going to trry to post it, it was dark and you cant really see it... plus it was on a camera phone. any input?
http://www.mafishfinder.com/users/t/timwag2001/photos/1187576970_cancer%20face.jpg

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Not exactly sure of the issue there but it is not uncommon to see things of that nature. The term "Freshwater" is really used loosely anymore, in my opinion, as most waters aren't really so fresh.

I have also seen things like this for instance alot while fishing for bullheads and other cats;

Neascus spp. (Black spot)-Digenetic trematode:

These parasites encysts within the skin of many species of freshwater fish. The fish in turn, surround the cyst with a black-pigmented tissue giving rise to black spots. These parasites do not usually cause mortality, but can be very unsightly. There are no reported cases of people becoming infected with these parasites by eating fish. There is no known direct control for these parasites. Indirect control has been attempted by controlling the snails that serve as intermediate hosts to the parasites.

Which is only one of the many things listed on this paper.
http://www.mass.gov/czm/wpfshlth.htm

So as to the exact problem with the fish you pictured, I am not sure..but chances are it won't be the first or last malformed or diseased fish you see, sadly Sad

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:52 pm

ive seen plenty of deformed fish before but nothing like ole cancer faces. half of his head was rotted away

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:51 pm

I'm not sure what could cause it, but I hope you cleaned your hands real good after handling that fish. Shocked

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:04 pm

hell yeah i did. i had to go to pee soo bad, too... but i was too afraid to touch my junk untill i could get home and wash my hands. was drinking beer and still was able to hold it for about an hour and a half untill i got out of the canoe and back home

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:20 pm

How's it going Timwag!?

It's very possible that one bass did have some type of cancer which caused its face to be eaten away. It's hard to tell from the picture you have posted. It's also possible it was an old wound that never healed properly and just scarred over.

Just curious, where did you get that fish? I was curious to which body of water you caught that fish from. It might be pollution that made that fish's problem worse.

Take it easy!

- Paul

Posted Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:04 pm

LOL. thats the funneist fishing story i have heard in a while. dont touch the junk. LOL

Posted Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:54 pm

wow - I sure wouldn't eat any fish from that body of water, wherever it is... Shocked

You might try to notify the wildlife department - they might know if it's just a one-off or (hopefully not) if there's something seriously wrong in that area.

Posted Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:33 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links