From everything I've seen and heard, the fishing at the Cape Cod Canal has died down a bit-compared to the bonanza we experienced last week.

With that said there are still some nice bass being caught. I would imagine that the bulk of the school has moved north into Cape Cod Bay and possibly beyond. Often times great fishing takes place in the Bay after a big push of bass moves through the canal.

Obviously it is inherently difficult to forecast where bass decide to go, however the past few seasons in particular have provided me with at least a few clues as to the best areas in Cape Cod Bay to begin the hunt for these migrating cow bass.

For anyone heading out in the Bay this coming week, feel free to check out this article on big striped bass behavior.

"Understanding Big Bass Behavior"

Large striped bass adopt specific behavioral patterns depending on the season. Understanding bass behavior in Cape Cod Bay can help an angler in establishing a smart starting point.

http://barnstable-hyannis.patch.com/articles/understanding-big-bass-behavior

Hopefully it'll help you to put a few of these beautiful fish in the boat.

Even though the fishing in the ditch has died down, it should only be matter of days to a week before the next big push of bass decides to move through. If they behave as in past seasons, superb fishing should last for around three days before the majority of the biomass moves north-like last week's large push.

Right now there are pogies, herring, mackerel and a cornucopia of other bait fish in the canal. The stage is certainly set for another blitz sometime very soon.

Tight lines,

Captain Ryan Collins

Posted Mon May 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Nice post! Very Happy I made my first ever run for Stripers Yesterday and got skunked and we moved all over. The only spot I saw a fish caught was out in Barnstable bay there was at least a dozen boats in the deep canal. Unfortunately Me or my cousin didn't hook up with anything but it was still an adventure. We ended up walking out on the dunes but could only fish for like 20 minutes as we got there a little late and had to beat the incoming tides. As we left one boat closest to us but maybe just out of casting reach got a nice keeper maybe 25-30lbs from what I could see.

I want to go again and actually might sometime this week as I am unemployed but I certainly want to bag one or two of those 25-30 lb'rs. Might even run out this afternoon if I feel up for it. Very Happy

Sophist

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks for the response!

Sounds like you guys had a fun time on the water. Hopefully you can get out there again ASAP.

Usually during the end of May, first week in June, there are plenty of big bass to be found in Barnstable Harbor. We'll usually jig up mackerel and then live line them using 3 way rigs in the deeper channels between the sandbars.

If you're interested in giving it a shot, here is an article that further explains how its done - nothing too complicated, but it should get you started on the right foot.

http://barnstable-hyannis.patch.com/articles/live-lining-springtime-cow-bass

Catch em up!

Ryan

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 3:54 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links