Got some great bank time today and took a change of pace. Talked with Mick about doing some lighter tackle fishing for perch and river chub since the carp bite can often be slow during the cold months.

We decided to give the Blackstone a go today and we set up on the upriver side of one of our favorite haunts. The water was quite cold, dipping to around 32 or so degrees and flowing nicely. Nate and I each set up a rod for carp, just in case we could entice them to feed. I was using a new float I got from Mick, a Polaris float. He had got into them in Canada fishing, and I loved the idea to use during the subtle winter bites.

It is a large float, about 5 to 6 inches long, possibly longer. Your line slides through a small hole, depending on size. One hole for up to 8 pounds, one hole for up to 20 pound test. Following the float you can attach up to 1 ounce weight, then your hook link or feeder etc. I went with a 1 ounce weight with a size 8 hook, tied in a D-rig utilizing bait bands. After you cast you can set the float to sit on it's side, to almost completely submerged depending on how soft the bites are. The deeper the float sits, the softer the bite it registers.

After about 2 hours in the water it already paid off. I had it baited with 2 maple peas and watched while talking to Nate over coffee. As we spoke the float slowly lifted then vanished. My line however never twitched other then the float movement. I quickly brought my rod around and dug into a great small mirror! Winter carp often hit so softly that the angler is never aware a fish even touched the bait until they are gone. The float allowed me to see the subtle action and react well before the fish had time to escape.

I really love the Polaris float. I truly enjoy winter fishing and this is simply a great tool for doing so.

After Mick arrived I switched focus a bit to our original goal of lighter tackle fishing for some yellow perch and river chub. We brought a bit of sweet corn, diced meat and worms to offer up on size 12 hooks with less then 1/8 ounce weights. I kept the Polaris rod out of course as the carp were feeding and I wouldn't pass up a chance at some great winter carp. I brought out a 7 foot ultra light Ugly Stick and rigged it up while Nate and Mick grabbed their light set ups as well.

It was fishing time...and we were excited!

The day progressed well with a mixed bag coming in full of Perch and Chub...Mick got a quite nice chub pushing the pound mark.

As the sun started to pass behind the trees, I dropped a small section of worm just before the current. My line bounced once...twice and I gave it a small lift to sort of jig it a bit. I did this jigging action once...twice...then the 7 foot ultra light with 6 pound test slowly pulled and bent. At first I thought I had caught bottom and raised the rod up. I realized the object moved ever so slightly. I pulled harder and suddenly the reel came alive as the object on the other end realized it was hooked.

Line screamed off the reel as I put what power i could into the fish. This fish was big...it wasn't a chub, it wasn't a perch..it was something much larger. I was locked into a battle for the next 8 minutes as the fish and I took turns taking and giving line. Mick and Nate stood around and we all hoped the line would hold, that the small size 12 hook would hold!

Finally it broke the surface...a carp, a common carp had picked up my small bit of worm. It looked around 12 pounds or so and I panicked for a moment. I tried to do the math, size 12 hook, 6 pound test line, 12 pound carp...Yeah I could handle it.

After it broke the surface I knew it was tired. It was just a matter of time now and I didn't rush the fish. Soon it was in the net and we got it to the mat, secured in the weigh bag we put a scale on it...13 lbs and 4 ounces.

What a great way to end the day...or so I had thought. As I released it I noticed my Polaris float was slowly sinking out of sight and I headed for my carp rod. I flipped the free spool and dug into another great fish, though much smaller then my recent battle. 3 carp on a mid December day and about a dozen mixed perch and chub to boot, I'll take it!

Be sure to check out the video as well!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86nukvc68to[/youtube]

Last edited by blackstonecarp on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:01 pm

very impressive to get carp in 32 degree water WTG Cool

Posted Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:19 am

Way to go gentlemen! Great footage of the battle and nice patience getting that large fish in on such light tackle- must have been a fun retrieve. Keep up the good work!

Posted Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah it has been cold, but I really do like winter fishing..though not a big fan of ice fishing for some reason lol. I think it has always been that I know, if i can fall through, chances are I will. I'll stick to my moving un -frozen but still really cold water Smile

It was a lot of fun Jeff, though really unexpected. I will have to set up a time to hit up a spot in the next few weeks, if your down...They've been biting and you seem to like the cold as well heh.

..but holidays first...bah all this wrapping gifts taking away from my fishing Wink

Posted Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:06 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links