I recently purchased a small 26' fishing boat and for the first time in a while can get off the the shore and fish some new waters. I know cod fishing is getting good now it's in the fall but I honestly don't know where to go to find the fish. I am out of Beverly and would love to hear any good fishing spots to try this weekend on my next trip out.
I know of Jeffery's ledge, stellwagon, and Tilleys ledge but was looking for something closer is there is any.

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:56 am

do you got an Iphone??? if yes then get the app called isailor!

its awesome its a chartplotter on your phone!! i use it all the time for inshore cod!!!!

if not then get a map!!!

look for any ledge,hole hump or rocky area in deep water..
deeper the 50 feet!!!!
i have caught an 18" cod(keeper was 19") in 20 feet of water jiggin macks over sandy bottom.
also my buddy has caught a 20" cod in 30feet of water jigging for harbor pollack!

i caught a 23" cod off a ledge last week in 80feet on clams
caught a 24" in 60 feet in a hole in july on clams!!

the red cod are inshore cod also know as rock cod!!! they stay inshore year round and become red because of the sea weed and rocks!
the white bellies are deep water cod!!!

youll catch both inshore in cold months!

jigs are better in the cold water months!!! cuz the fish are more agressive!!!
clams are the best bait but sea worms work good!!!

jigs are heavy jigs! 5-20+ounces

10-20+ are used for really deep!!100+

i use 5-16 ounce jigs!! 20 ounce is for when the current is really bad!!!!

5-10 inshore 100feet or less!!!

iwas using 4ounce in 80 feet last week with clams!!
but the same day i moved out to another deep ledge and i need 10ounce!!! i was fishing any where from 50-130 feet
all depends on the drift!!!!!!

also use a lobster bait bag and start a chum!!!!

put some heavy weights in the bag and send it to the bottom!!

i used old clams i had in my freezer since the spring!!! but any bait will work

stick with stout gear and heavy braid!!! i use 65 braid

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:38 am

check out

NOAA marine charts online!

or

earthnc.com

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:44 am

Just outside the mouth of the Danvers River, by the Kernwood Country Club in Salem was always a good spot for just about every species. The squid run at night, so there is plenty of bait to be had if you don't have your own already. The bridge is always loaded with people jigging for them. Cod were always abundant to the right of the bridge (if in a boat facing) at the clam flats. Good luck and congrats on the boat!

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links