Hey guys, I was just wondering what everyone fishes this time of year? I myself have been trying some slow moving midwater jerkbaits, some finesse fishing with soft plastics, and I even tried some spinnerbaits on the colder/cloudier days. Haven't hooked up once since the ice melted. What are you people fishing this early in the spring? I heard lipless cranks are real good due to their tight swim pattern and good vibration. I also heard swimbaits are surprisingly good this time of year too depending on conditions. I know some kid caught close to a 6 lb'er last weekend on a black football jig'n pig somewhere in the Plymouth area, he was from Brockton, he posted a pic of the fish up on On The Water magazines facebook.

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:42 pm

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:44 pm

yeah man i agree with what you were saying for lures but i'd add a bass jig to that mix as well!

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:44 pm

My favorite way of catch big cold water bass!
Caught a monster last year in march! Wish my scale didint break! It was bigger then the 6.6 I caught in the same. Pond!

Black and blue finesse jig! Caught a 4.10 yesterday on black blue jig

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:54 pm

3/8 oz classic Rat-L-Trap crank fished as slow as possible works pretty well.
1/2 oz blue and black jigs with a crawdad trailer bounced along the bottom do decent as well.
Jerk baits and spinners have their place too but I haven't had that great of luck with them personally.
I usually go with lures that make a lot of vibration and flash that are also able to be fished slowly. Slow is the key word.

Once the ice goes out bass start moving into the shallower pre-spawn areas as the water warms up. Try hitting the west/north side of the lake because it gets the most sun. That's what's worked for me anyways. Every body of water is different.

When in doubt try some live bait haha

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Fish slower...

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:47 pm

Much much slower! At least 30 second pauses with jerkbaits. Yo-yo the rattle traps. Water temps are still in 37-41 degree range.

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:05 pm

i took that advice today with jerkbaits and it worked out very well. i fished them by basically not fishing them and caught a good number of bass in 40 degree water including a 3.11 pounder. lucky craft pointer xd.

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:16 pm

It's hard to fish them so slow, but it pays off.

Nice catches Samf...

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:40 pm

samf

i took that advice today with jerkbaits and it worked out very well. i fished them by basically not fishing them and caught a good number of bass in 40 degree water including a 3.11 pounder. lucky craft pointer xd.

Nice job Sam ! I got skunked today at Billington in the poring rain. Water was 41-42 degrees today. I was Def fishing to fast. Was out front 12p to 330p.[/quote]

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:46 pm

I put him on the fish

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:09 pm

jamesd

Much much slower! At least 30 second pauses with jerkbaits. Yo-yo the rattle traps. Water temps are still in 37-41 degree range.

Really? 30 seconds? That seems awful long, but since Sam had luck with that type of presentation, I'll definitely have to give it a try!

Posted Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:32 pm

it's truly ugly and boring but effective. i just finally forced myself to stick with them, listen to the experts and fish them that slowly. i tried a few things and the slightest twitch after a pause worked that day, not a hard pull or snap.

there were times i literally just threw it out there and stopped fishing to let it sit. i'd either talk or sit down...something like that. when i went to twitch, the fish were just there.

Posted Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:59 pm

Last time i went it was practically the same deal. Throw it out and wait a few days Shocked then twitch it so its moves a 1/16 of a inch and hope for the best Laughing

Posted Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:52 pm

wow you guys are fishing very slow! damn! looks like i got to slow down a little bit!

but WARM WEATHER IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:16 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links