Hey all Smile
I am a Dad from Maynard and I am teaching my little girl how to fish, I haven’t done any real fishing since she was born and she is 7 now and she is hooked, my question to you all is this, I am looking for places near Maynard that I can take her fishing, we fish from the shore as we don’t have a boat yet (but we are looking at possibly a 12-16 foot Jon Boat with a little trolling motor to get us started later in the season). She has been catching Small-Mouth and Bluegill at Mill Pond in Maynard, and she loves it Smile yea for me I get to go fishing again. But really it’s all about her, but fishing in 1 spot a couple times a week is getting old and we really need a new spot where the fishing is good for her and has some good size fish for me as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. just moved to the area a few years ago.

Posted Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:55 pm

Please take this in the spirit it is intended. With small children on board, you might want to think about a v-hull as opposed to a flat-bottom john boat. A v-hull is safer and less likely to get swamped.

Posted Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Tanks for the reply, i didnt realize the flat bottom was less safe than a v-hull. i was just thinking about the flat floor for the kids thought that would be easier for them but Safety First so looks like a V-Hull for us then. Can you recommend a good starter Boat for us Smile that would be appreciated. (something i could find relatively cheep in say the want add or craigslist that wouldnt need more than a trolling motor to run with)

thanks again

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:27 am

targon24

Tanks for the reply, i didnt realize the flat bottom was less safe than a v-hull. i was just thinking about the flat floor for the kids thought that would be easier for them but Safety First so looks like a V-Hull for us then. Can you recommend a good starter Boat for us Smile that would be appreciated. (something i could find relatively cheep in say the want add or craigslist that wouldnt need more than a trolling motor to run with)

thanks again

The brand name isn't all that important and we're talking a small aluminum boat. Each boat has a coast guard placard affixed to the inner stern of the boat. That would be the first place I would check in relation to Maximum weight capacity. You want to have something that allows at least 400 pounds, two adults.

As long as you have a good troller with say a minimum of 36 lb thrust, that'll be enough to quietly move you along. Plus, if you wanted to go with a little gas motor, the Coast Guard placard would tell you what the boat would take for maximum horse power. 7 to 15 horse could power yourself along safely and we're not talking alot of money if you buy the whole package second hand.

I've seen guys throw a 12 foot v-hull aluminum right in back of a long bed truck, therefore, no need for a trailor.

If you must go with a flat bottom boat, I would say go with at least 14 ft. More expensive, but much heavier and more stable as a result. Plus, if you go with a flat bottom, you might find ABS plastic to be more to your liking. ABS is quiet, and some people can't stand the sound of aluminum scratching along. But,if you get a big dent in aluminum, it won't crack, and you can just bang it out with a ball-peen.

When it comes to safety though, talk to a dealer like at Bass Pro. You don't want to take any chances with your little princess. And fit her and yourself with a proper life vest.

Tight-lines Bro.

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:21 pm

A good resource to use in the masswildlife pond mapshttp://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/ponds/pond_maps.htm

Posted Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:23 pm

There is a pond in north reading called martins pond and it is great for fishing off the shore and the kids have a great time and after that long attention span there is a park right near the beach that you fish from that she can play at and you can keep fishing. As far as a boat I had a flat bottom boat and I spent more time worrying that my son was going to go overboard so I bought a v hull boat and I still worry about my son going overboard but it is much more stable and the sides are higher and I feel much more comfortable with the small ones.

Posted Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:48 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links