Ok, so I just got the weekly NH fishing report and apparently the lake I'm going to is HOT right now for rainbows. Most are being caught at 25-35 feet on a downrigger. I don't have the time or money for a downrigger. I have access to a canoe, a 1 person and a 2 person kayak. What's the best way to fish downrigger style...without a downrigger!!!!!

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:58 am

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:38 pm

I'm definitely digging that idea. What # test should I use? Do I need to tie on a leader?

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:10 pm

That is a good question...I have not personally used lead core...so I would suggest perhaps a trip to bass pro or another sporting goods store to get some advice on how to spool it and rig it.

I know that bass pro has on-line chat people who might be able to help you with this question.

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:10 pm

trout is in the summer alwyas between 20 - 30 deep

park the canu

normal line setup take a nice small trout hook - go back up the line ruffly 12 inch from the hook and tie in a marble sized weight

most important for trout is that the bait is floating a foot over bottom
also hook as small as possible and bait not bigger than a marble

that catches me tons of the yummy suckers and no extra money spent

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:18 pm

+1 To the above method.

Thats how I normally catch trout in the summer on walden pond in the deep hole out back.

also see if you can find a "worm puffer" and use night-crawlers with a couple air bubbles under the skin to float them. I usually catch a ton of brown trout that way as they love a nice stinky crawler!

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:27 pm

There are some very good low priced downriggers. Cannon makes one that I used before I upgraded to a bigger boat. Caught many salmon and lakers on Quabbin with a rented boat and trusty cannon riggers.

Posted Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:27 am

They make trolling weights too that will bring your lures deeper.
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-reg-Trolling-Weights/product/10200705/-1564081

Posted Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:40 am

i would just drop shinners down deep man

Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:49 am

get some dipsey divers. there adjustable so you can get them off to the right or left side of the boat and there diving depth is based off how far behind the boat you send them so you will need a line counter or you can just guess. they attach to your line and you can use them running 15 or 20 lb test with medium or medium heavy 7 ft pole. I use them all the time for salmon and trout on lake ontario. They are about 5- 15 dollars each depending on what size you get.

Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:45 am

get some dipsey divers. there adjustable so you can get them off to the right or left side of the boat and there diving depth is based off how far behind the boat you send them so you will need a line counter or you can just guess. they attach to your line and you can use them running 15 or 20 lb test with medium or medium heavy 7 ft pole. I use them all the time for salmon and trout on lake ontario. They are about 5- 15 dollars each depending on what size you get.

Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:49 am

I watched On The Water last week fishing Lake Ontario for lake trout, browns,rainbow, and salmon using the butterfly jigs. They were fishing them the same way they fish for tuna.
They found structure with there electronics, drop the butterfly jig down to the bottom and start jigging and retrieving. I have never fished this but they were having great success. They were using a drift sock to slow down the drift.
I'm going to Lake Winni on vacation in a couple of weeks and I plan on giving this a try. Not sure of the weight of lures they used but they were about 2 to 3" long and at least 1/2oz, they seemed to have best luck with white. Try and match the baitfish and you should be good to go...

Posted Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:49 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links