Sunday May 24th the Blackstone Valley River Bikeway Patrol is hosting a fish and ride event.

This event is open to all ages but is geared a little more toward and no license is required for those 14 and under. If you click the link the left side has more details. The official event will be 11-2, though I will be on hand all day to fish and what not

Sunday May 31st. FISHING CLINIC: Equipment provided, bring your own gear if you have it. Experienced anglers will be on
hand to demonstrate techniques, care, safety etc.. Beginners and all abilities welcome.

This event will be 1030 till noon, though I will remain in the park all day to fish and what not unofficially. It is open again to all ages and ability. We will be showing methods of fishing, care of fish when caught, safety and such.

I am a volunteer in parks and avid carp fisherman, I will keep things posted here when I can.

Posted Wed May 20, 2009 4:16 pm

I wanted to post an update on how the Ride and Fish event went. We had a pretty good turn out for the mix of weather we had.

So as you can see it was a small event, but weather considering as well as this being the first year, I was happy with the turn-out. I look forward to future events and will post them as I learn dates and such.

For More pictures of the event visit the official site

Last edited by bedlem on Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue May 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Just another update, Fishing clinic went well this weekend. Wasn't a huge turn-out but the weather reports are always iffy in the springtime. Bunch of fish were caught and hopefully a few things were learned.

Posted Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:26 pm

bedlem,

Good reports, and thanks for your efforts to get kids fishing.

I thought perhaps this would be an appropriate place to ask the following: At what age and how do you start kids on fishing? I have a 22-month-old son I can't wait to take fishing. Just not sure how and when to start it!

Suggestions welcome from all!

Thanks...

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks, it has been a lot of fun so far and the season is only beginning for me Wink

As far as how old, That I dunno for sure. Depends on the kid really, some will pick up faster and such. For instance I fish with a 10 and 13 year old a lot ( their mom works for the park I hang out in and so they tag along some days) But I'll tell you those kids learn fast and can catch carp right along side me with no issues.

I will say that most kids that come to the farm with their parents are usually 4 or 5 years old at the earliest. Younger ones come but they don't fish and are usually being watched by another while one of the parents fishes. That seems like a good age though to me, and as long as you encourage and have fun with them they seem to really enjoy the time they spend. Tough part for many kids is patience..its all good if fish are biting like mad, but on a slow day, yeah.

Things I will put out there, when you start taking your kid fishing, teaching them to look behind them before they cast is a huge thing. Also always use barb-less or crush the barbs on the hooks down. If an accident does happen, it is best not to have those nasty barbs to make things worse. Having them learn to cast with a small rod and a weight or small item on the end in the grass is a good start.

I would also recommend that when you fish, find a place that has big fish that you can toss out a rod and wait for something to run with it, but also has a ton of bluegills and such. This way you toss your rod out and let it sit meanwhile you spend time with your kid helping them catch small fish. This way, and I know it's prolly common sense but , you get the chance to hit into some nice lunkers while still keeping your kids attention and passing the time nicely.

As they get more into it, have them help in all areas of fishing. I've noticed that even if kids aren't catching fish and others are, if you let them help net, chum, handle etc they keep interested. Also having some extra activities in your pocket can be great. Look on the internet for interesting and fun outdoor activities to do while you fish to help entertain during slow times.

Like did you know that if you pull a dandelion flower and stem up, tear the stem lengthwise from the bottom to the flower a few times, keeping it all intact so it looks like a dandelion octopus, when you dip it in the water and gently swirl it a bit the stem will curl and make it all squiggly? I didn't till a little bit ago heh.

And last but not least you can always check out local events by going to http://www.mass.gov/dcr/events.htm or http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/aep/aep_calendar.htm Sometimes just being around those types of environments can get your kids interested and excited about fishing.

Granted I am by no means a professional anything, I am simply a volunteer who fishes and does maple sugaring tours. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but I hope it does at least a little good. I also hope that your son grows up and has plenty of good times outfishing you Razz Cause that is what its all about, Bringing our love of fishing to those around us.

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:07 pm

that sounded like a great time for all

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links