Hi All:

Need your advice on a new setup. I'd like to buy a baitcasting rod/reel and not too familiar with that side. I've reviewed the usual websites and read specs and reviews, but I just want to be sure before buying one. I've always used spinning reels for salt and fresh but I'll use the baitcast for fresh only. I'd like a 6' or 6-6 rod, medium action with a low profile reel. Does the bearing count in bc reels mean as much as they do in spinning reels? Also, what brands do you guys recommend? I'd like to spend no more than $75 just in case I realize that I don't like it or am not comfortable with it. I primarily topwater fish with poppers, floating minnows and pencils. I do also worm fish. I do use braid and am very comfortable with it, so I would like to put brain on the baitcast. Thanks in advance.

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:30 am

check out the Bill Dance Select from Quantum. I got a 6'6 and have been very happy with it. its around $60 or $70

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:58 pm

will do. Thanks for the info.

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:59 am

I to is taking that big jump!! I spend $25. more an got a
Quantum Code Combo at Dick's Xmas Sale. Can't wait for warmer weather to do some practice casting.

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:15 pm

id go with the 6'6 so you have more tip. id also suggest that you get a reel with an aluminum frame so it always stays straight and true. If you are willing to spend more then 75 dollars, please do because baitcasters are more expensive and are much more complex in design. id suggest an ugly stick with a BPS rick clunn signiture reel. it is alittle more money then you first said, but in the long run that is all you will ever need! youd probably be looking at 110 dollers here, but the reel is way more important then the rod in this price range, so dont scimp on the reel.

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:34 pm

I ended up going with a Black Max with a 6-6 Daiwa Megaforce rod Medium Power/Fast action. Got a nice deal on both sets. Just put some new 10 lb copoly line on over the weekend. Now just need it to stop snowing in NJ so I can go out and practice with it.

Posted Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:19 am

when I first started with baitcasters back in the early 90s(back home in Oklahoma) it was winter too, so I actually set up a hat in the corner and practiced flipping & pitching a jig into it in the living room! That will teach you how to thumb your spool to avoid backlashes, all without making big casts that might tie you up in a big bird's nest before you get used to the technique. That way, when spring comes, you'll be ready!

The way I was taught is to put a lure on(say a 3/8oz spinnerbait or jig) and to adjust the spool tension so that when you hold it straight out and push your button, the lure will lower smoothly to the ground and stop when it touches. This will obviously take some experimentation... The spool will spin faster with a standard cast of course, but that's where your thumb comes in. LOL Laughing

Most people new to using baitcasting reels make the mistake of trying to throw it too hard - that's where 90% of backlashes come from, in my opinion. Once you get it down, your lure is gonna make a little sideways question mark shape as it shoots out from your rod tip. And realistically, in most(not all) freshwater lure casting situations, your casts are gonna be maybe 50 feet or less, so accuracy & quiet presentation are more important than distance.

While I use both spinning and baicasters, depending on the situation I am faced with, I love my Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000.

*edit: I've also got my eye on a Pfleuger Criterion rod-n-reel combo I saw at Dick's Sporting Goods...

Posted Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links