I've been going to the Charles river for a few days in search of my first carp of the year, and I hit it today. The river is high, so I tried a 1 oz. sinker to get the bait out into the channel. Sure enough, that did it. I don't have a scale, but the fish was about 24.5 in. Very nice fight - I had to work hard and tighten up the drag to keep her from running up a channel beside me and around some bushes. Discount white bread and some marshmallow on the hook.

I photo of my holding the fish came out funky for some reason - when I put the camera on auto/delay I must have scrambled something. Can anyone give me an estimate for the weight? I don't have a scale.

Last edited by markb on Mon May 23, 2011 7:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

Posted Mon May 23, 2011 3:59 pm

That's odd...I plugged that http into a new window and it said it was a bad link...might want to double check it. Looks like you have it formatted correctly with img /img and the link in the middle. You might need to right click the image and "save image location" instead of just cutting and pasting the link in the browser bar. Try it out!

Posted Mon May 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Ten pounder caught this afternoon in the Charles

Posted Sat May 28, 2011 4:03 pm

All your photos work for me now...those are some nice sized carp, I bet they were a good fight!

Posted Sun May 29, 2011 6:58 am

They're good fighting fish, and they don't want to come out of the water. I really need to get a net.

Posted Sun May 29, 2011 11:22 am

My first fish on a hair rig. 10.5 lbs, taken from the Charles this afternoon.

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:20 pm

hi mark, your not the only one needing some scales!
i really need to get some im pulling some big Carp out of the charles myself.... seems im pulling more grass than common but hey who cares!

picked this one out this morning and told it to fech me his grandfather! LOL

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:15 am

Nice!

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:57 am

Thank you very much, by no means the biggest, but the weather was so misrable and cold i was just happy to catch, with the temp dropping so low after a few warm days i wasnt suprised it was such a quiet morning! my only catch with the exception of a greedy Bluegil that had no buisness on my bait!! LOL

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Bah scales are overrated..once you get a "big" one.,.you start looking for the next "bigger" one..it can be a very bad cycle...

That said, nice fish guys..but yes a net is needed..they are a hardy fish but you never know what could cause damage. What may seem innocent, a 15 fish flopping against hard earth..could rupture something internal. The fish may swim off only to die later.

A good net and if you go to wal-mart or something similar you can get those rolls that you put under a sleeping bag for under 10 dollars. Cut off a 3 foot section and it makes a great, cushioned, unhooking mat. Keeps the fish safer from the hard ground and gravity, as well as helps keep their slime coat intact ( which is what prevents infection if they are cut/bruised/etc). Rubbing them on the mud/sand/grass does not help keep it intact.

Posted Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:04 am

haha yeah i think people need to have their scales inspected or not talk about weight at all Razz

Posted Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:29 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links