kenwood

The cold weather and snow came in fast and hard. I'm hoping the warm weather does the same. And soon. =)

X 2!

Posted Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:44 pm

went ice fishing this past weekend at fields pond in harold parker. the shiners would die after being in the water after a few minutes. i exchanged the bait bucket water with pond water but the same thing still happened. i'm wondering if the problem was low oxygen but the open bait bucket allowed atmospheric oxygen to diffuse in and keep those shiners alive.

anyone know how low oxygen might affect different fish? we did jig up a few small lmb so certainly at least some fish are surviving.

Posted Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:24 pm

I read this in an article on the subject of winterkill. Not sure where shiners fit?

"Trout are most sensitive; walleye, bass, and bluegill have intermediate sensitivity; and northern pike, yellow perch, and pumpkinseed are relatively tolerant. Bullheads and certain minnows are very tolerant."

Posted Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:46 pm

mr.marinara

went ice fishing this past weekend at fields pond in harold parker. the shiners would die after being in the water after a few minutes..

Yep, this is what I was mentioning earlier in this thread. Fields pond is a great example of a shallow pond that will be effected by the winter. The deepest part of the lake is only a couple of feet. To be honest this lake needs a die off, the whole place is filled with stunted bass.

Posted Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:04 am

To be honest this lake needs a die off, the whole place is filled with stunted bass.

It's been like that for decades.

Posted Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks for the replies.

Now that you mention it I have heard before that trout need well oxygenated water and that hornpout can survive with little oxygen in the water. Taking a look online it seems that minnow is a term to describe several species of small fish including shiners. Wonder why they were dying...

I'm new the area so I've only fished Fields a couple of times this winter. 10 fish, all dink bass. Did see another group land a nice one but that seems to be unusual.

It's funny that the previous week we fished the Norton Res and we didn't have this problem. The res is comparable in depth so I wonder if it would have the same problem this week or if other differences has made Fields more susceptible.

Posted Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:07 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links