I just got a scale recently, but now I'm all confused. I caught an 18" bass the other day, that was pretty fat, and it only tipped the scale at 2lbs 9 oz. does that sound right?? I was watching Bill Dance on tv the other day, and he caught 16"er and said it should be about 2.5 lbs. I also looked up the weight-length conversion charts ( http://www.windycityfishing.com/bass_conversion_chart.htm ) and that puts an 18"er over 3.5 lbs. Are the bass just skinnier out here? or is the scale off?

Posted Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:24 pm

those conversion charts are not worth jack

weigh something with your scale that you know for sure what it weighs. Scales usualy humble people fast.

Posted Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:36 pm

Yup..I'd say put a 5 pound bag o sugar in a plastic shopping bag and see it it registers 5 pounds, give or take a few ounces.

After a few times using the scale though you'll get a more proper eye for weight. Also I suggest using a net or bag to weigh your fish. Not a big fan of placing the hook directly into the fish myself. With carp it is much more mandatory to use a weigh bag because of the sheer size, but it really only takes an extra moment to do and can greatly benefit all fish to have a little extra care.

For instance we usually net, tare the bag, transfer carp to bag and weigh..then release after the all important photo op Razz. Takes all of 1-2 minutes tops. Saves the fish's lips and/or gills if they decide to flip or flop on you..or worse if you drop em.

Posted Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:42 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links