I currently use a cheap fishing kayak this past season when I want to fish alone because lugging around my 12' Tracker Topper is just annoying to do solo. For next season I was looking into making a bigger investment in either a better fishing kayak (Wilderness Systems Commando) or one of the 8' Uncle Bucks Pond Prowler type boat. I want to be able to stand while fishing alone, so that's why I put that kayak name. Anyone have any recommendations/suggestions as to which to do? I do enjoy kayaking but it seems kayaks you can stand in are a lot more money then getting one of the 8' boats. Thanks.

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:27 pm

how will you get it around? Pickup or cartop? I have a basshunter that's 9'6. I cartop it but it's kind of a pain alone but one of thos 8 footers in a pickup would be easy.

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Sorry, yeah I drive a truck with a 6'6" (?) bed I think it is, so with tailgate down an 8' wouldn't even stick out

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:18 pm

no, definitely won't stick out. I put mine in my buddy's Tacoma and it fits perfect with the gate down

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm

we put a 12 foot jon boat in a 6'6 bed (gate down)....we just make sure we have a bright marker displayed when transporting

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:34 pm

Yeah I do that when I use my 12' jon, but that's not why the length mattered! More reccommendations/suggestions!

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:15 pm

zack137z

Yeah I do that when I use my 12' jon, but that's not why the length mattered! More reccommendations/suggestions!

I can carry my boat on my back like a turtle shell if i'm fishing a place I gotta carry in a little way. The 8 footer is probably a little lighter.

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:06 pm

My 8' topper is about 3" too big to fit through my condo door. I'm ordering a two piece one man boat called a solo boat. Who knows if it will sink, but its a boat that accommodates city living. Here's their youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54KVo571mww&feature=player_embedded

I

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:47 pm

That thing is crazy looking.

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:51 pm

Haha, that things great. I'm actually intrigued

Until I saw the price

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 pm

zack137z

Haha, that things great. I'm actually intrigued

Until I saw the price

Yep, its $1500. But I currently have my boat stashed at my folks place 45 minutes away, it gets expensive just for me to drive there and pick it up. And this is the only type of craft that I can squeeze through my front door into my back yard.

Posted Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:04 am

The thing I saw about the solo boat was it's weight capacity and depth -- at 12" deep and a capacity of 264 lbs, a big guy could get in trouble quickly in that thing I believe....but who knows? It IS an interesting gadget.

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:31 am

yeah untill the first masshole plows by with 30 mph and the waves sink you like a stone - nice alu boat is ur best bet not to drown when ur alone - i have a 12 ft pelican vhull on a trailer and i can handle that in and out alone and drunk so....

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:53 am

I have a Bass Baby it`s an 8 footer and has the built in wheels.It`s easy to roll it yourself to the water.I bought it a few years ago & actually never caught a bass on it,maybe thats because i went out with my girlfriend who gets bored ,so ended up panfishin.I bought a Yak soon thereafter as I didn`t have a trolling motor.It`s for sale as well.Its the same as the 2013 ones with the 2 storage hatches.

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi Zack-

Your quest is what drove me to a Wavewalk. Here is my story:

http://wavewalk.com/blog/2013/02/11/why-i-became-a-w-kayak-owner-and-then-a-w-kayak-dealer-by-michael-chesloff-new-york/

Full disclosure (as you can see in the link), I am a reseller. Rolling Eyes

Posted Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:40 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links