Do you prefer fishing large bodies of water or small out-of-the-way places?
Large Lakes
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Small Ponds
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

Yesterday I posted a trip we made to Ashland Reservoir and included some pictures. One picture was spot I had been fishing for a while and having good luck until a dog came charging into the water scaring the fish away. The owner soon followed and I knew it was time to move to a different spot. I was annoyed, but I didn't want it to ruin my day so I just let it go and moved to another spot.

After a few minutes I got a bite, but before I could set the hook, I feel this..um..how do I put it?..hard, invasive sensation on my backside. More specifically BETWEEN my backside. The intrusion turned out to be a black lab getting to know me on a very personal level! Naturally I was unprepared for this and since I was fishing from the edge of a rock I began to lose my balance leaving me no choice but to let go of my rod with one hand and stick my arm out fast to try to steady myself so I wouldn't go head first into the water. Of course the fish I had on the line got away.

I turned around and looked at the owner with this "WTF??" look on my face expecting her to apologize for her dog's behavior. Instead, she ignored me completely and said to her dog in a sickeningly sweet baby talk voice "Oh sweetie you found yourself a new girlfriend!" At this point I started wondering if black lab would make good bait. Then I realized it wasn't the dog's fault..he was just doing what dogs do. The dog owner was the one at fault.

Natickguy made a very astute comment on the picture I posted of the dog and owner in the water and that's what got me thinking and lead me to write this.

I still consider myself a novice when it comes to fishing, but one of the very first things I learned is there are certain unwritten rules that most people who fish live by. For example, if you go to one of your favorite spots and someone else is fishing there, you move on. You don't crowd your way in and fish there anyway. It's rude and it's bad fishing etiquette.

I think that is what got me so riled up at Ashland Res over the dog incident. When we go fishing, I expect the unwritten rules to apply and usually they do because the people you bump into are fellow fishermen who understand the code of conduct. In fact many of the people I've bumped into have been some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Recently Drew and I decided to check out a pond we had never fished before. But when we got to the area with the best shore access there was an older man already there fishing. I stopped and said "Oh I'm sorry, I don't want to intrude.." and he said "Nonsense! There's room for all of us!"

This man's name was Arthur and it turned out he was a fishing instructor in his younger days. I told him I hadn't been fishing very long so he took the time to show me a few tricks he had learned over the years as well as sharing his extensive knowledge of the pond and some of the ponds in the surrounding area. He had been fishing them for years because he lived close by. What a nice guy!

Drew did end up catching a largie that day (of course! when doesn't he?) and I took a picture of Drew and Arthur with Drew's bass which I will post today.

I know this is a long post and I apologize for my long rant but I do feel I learned something from my experience at Ashland Res. I learned that I very much dislike fishing large bodies of water where all kinds of water recreation is acceptable. Motorized boats zooming by towing someone water skiing, people (and dogs)swimming, kids yelling, etc. It's just not for me. Give me a quiet spot in the middle of nowhere surrounded by trees and the soothing sounds of nature and that great "zzzzzzzz" sound Drew's rod makes when he casts..now that's my idea of fishing!

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:55 am

I agree with one exception...It doesn't matter the body size as much as access.

Sadly I fish large and small places and both venues have their share of idiots. From people bringing their dogs up to my swim, to parents letting their kids walk into my area and try to take my chips/drinks/tackle...to Canoers who feel the need to paddle directly at me, and sit 5 feet from shore to ask me what I'm doing and if I've caught anything...Or people who will see me carp fishing and feel that since I'm just sitting on the bottom it is ok for them to start casting lures between my poles...

The practice of etiquette is long since gone in most places. Sure the majority of fishermen/women will acknowledge some unwritten rules, but even that is deteriorating.

I have had people walk up to me while I was casting, ask me how the fishing was then sit down in my chair and proceed to talk to me about their adventures on whatever water. Quite frankly I don't want anyone in my chair..in fact I don't care if you brought your own chair, if I didn't invite you, then aside from a passing talk you shouldn't be there.

I won't rant too much but, I am a volunteer in parks and I host various fishing things through-out the year. I deal with the public and when I'm out of uniform that means I'm not looking to deal with the public. I expect that if I am in a traffic area that I will get people stopping by, and that is fine. But for the love of anything holy, control your dogs,children,hands,mouths and whatever else. All I can say is most people are lucky I quit drinking Razz I am a really patient and nice person...but when you step out of line I really have no problem putting you back into it. I can't tell you how many times I have had to say in a public place;

"If you had it on a leash you wouldn't have to scream for 20 minutes"

"I'm sorry did I call you up and ask you to come out fishing with me? No, what a friggin surprise..now get lost"

"Hi how are you...good, glad to hear that. Now that I know you aren't deaf listen carefully..I have been very patient with you but you are about 2 seconds away from losing some teeth, please move along"

"Yeah Yeah, I'm fishing and I was having some luck till you parked your boat on my poles"

and many many more...

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:28 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links