So next weekend I'm going out on a friend's sailboat. It's a decent size, maybe 35-40 feet. We will be cruising around Barrington, RI. My question is can I fish from this boat (when not anchored.) The speed of the boat will be determined heavily, I would think, by the wind. Can I troll? What lures should I bring? (No live or chunk bait.) I only have one salt setup and it's really meant for surf casting though it's not excessively long.

Edit: I also have a 6'6" medium/heavy baitcasting rod/reel setup. Would that be better than a long spinning setup? Can a conventional reel be mounted on a baitcasting rod? A spinning rod?

Last edited by bcodkind on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:47 am

not sure your friend will appreciate that. he would probably rather teach you about sailing.

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:54 am

oldfisher

not sure your friend will appreciate that. he would probably rather teach you about sailing.

Fair enough. Let me clarify. This is my wife's aunt's boat and they have told me they won't mind.

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:57 am

if they stop and anchor for lunch I would try, otherwise just enjoy the ride, you are going to be moving at a good clip with any wind. bring some diamond jigs if you got them.

Posted Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:06 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links