I have been using Berkley Trilene XL on my spinning reels, and Trilene XT on my baitcasters for literally 20 years...

I tried Spiderwire when it first came out, and it was pretty good(except when I got snagged and cut the crap out of my hand trying to free my lure!), but I eventually went back to my tried-n-true Trilene. I basically don't even look at anything else - I grab a spool(s) in the pound test I need and go to the check out.

With all the myriad available options in lines nowadays, am I missing out on something special?

Should I trying something new?

Question

Tony

Posted Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:26 pm

what kind of fishing do you do? If you're comfortable with what you use and you catch fish, why change? Mono is the old standby for everyone and seems to be the best all around option, so stick with what works for you. remember, all that marketing, info and slick packaging is for the fisherman, not the fish.

Posted Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:45 pm

I do strictly freshwater fishing, mainly bass, but occasionally I'll catch some panfish for a tasty meal... I used to catch a few walleyes years ago.

I haven't really kept up with all the changes and such like I used to, so there's alot that's 'hot' nowadays that I'm not familiar with. The last time I really followed trends in fishing tackle, the Sluggo was a seemingly 'miraculous' innovation, and Strike King was THE go-to spinnerbait company! hehehe

...just wondering if I'm still using the fishing equivalent of Windows 95, and whether I should 'upgrade'. Laughing

Posted Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:41 pm

well, as a guy who uses Mono, Copoly and braid, I say stick with the Trilene XT. It's still one of the best mono's and it's a great all around line. Use it and enjoy it.

Posted Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:18 pm

I have a tendency to catch trees a lot when I fish, so I would say the switch to braid on a few set ups was a good choice for me. It definitely helped me save some lures (and dollars) this season.

Posted Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Ha! I'm the same as volume with my casting ability, so I use braid also. Honestly, if you want to try braid or other type of line to see what it's like, go for it. But don't do it because you think you're missing out on something. They all have their advantages and disadvantages and mono is still the best all around line, in my opinion.

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:32 am

i use alot of braid when fishing. it never gets old or springy. i feel better with no streach and can rip lures through grass and pads with ease. i still use mono alot on my spinning tackle, but the braid is coming out more and more. plus you have 0% line twist, and can cast a mile with the braid. powerpro is my go to line and it is much cheaper then other brands. hope this helps.
PS, the other guys got it right, fish with what your comfortable with, but still try out new things cause you wont know until you try!

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:22 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links