What do you find works better for trout?
Lures
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Rigs (w/ floating or sinking baits)
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

For all my trout rigs, I used green powerbait and got nothing. Yesterday I tried artificial floating salmon eggs and caught a 15 in. rainbow in the first place I casted. I love the eggs because they aren't messy, unlike the powerait, and they WORK. What other floating trout baits are out there and have you had success on them? What rig setup do you use. I use an egg sinker (slip) rig.

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:43 pm

you must have been using the paste. they make a floating power egg as well. reusable.

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:55 pm

I've had luck with any of the products made by PowerBait. The eggs are easier to use in the sense that they fall off the hook much less often and don't make a mess like the dough does. However, I feel that the dough makes a stronger scent in the water and some days outperforms the eggs 10 to 1.

I like to use a size 12 salmon hook or a size 14 treble hook for either dough or eggs. If I'm using an egg I like to add a meal worm or half of a worm to it (just need to make sure it floats before casting it out).

I also use 6# mono as my main line with a 2' 6# fluorocarbon leader. Generally I'll use a 1/4 to 1/2 oz. egg sinker as my weight depending on the water depth or current.

Posted Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:26 am

Even though i used these in maine and not in mass I had some luck with in linee spinners

Posted Mon May 04, 2015 2:17 pm

For stocked trout I prefer Powerbait Trout dough. When they are in mood for that, you can limit out in about 90 minutes.

I have also caught trout (My first trout) on a Gold #2 Blue Fox inline spinner.

To be honest there is no one sure fire bait, lure or method that will work all of the time. So having a tacklebox with various options to adapt to conditions is the best advice I can give.

Posted Tue May 19, 2015 1:00 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links