Every time I swing by my local tackle stores, I always hear someone mention the "Golden Hills" as great trout fishing. This area, around Saugus includes Griswald, 2nd, and Spring Ponds, but does anybody know if there are actually trout there?

The big question for me is Griswald Pond. It is on the stocking list, so I went to check it out and it was just a tiny, weedy pond, that looked good for sunfish and bass, but wasn't exactly ideal trout water. However, just a minute away is 2nd Pond which is big, deep and looks perfect for trout. Could the DFW have messed this up, or is the small pond actually stocked?

Posted Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:00 pm

I always thought the bigger pond was Griswold pond. Google maps has it labeled as 2nd pond. I just checked yahoo maps and bing maps and they both have the bigger pond labeled as Griswold.

It is indeed stocked with trout. It used to have fantastic bass fishing but it gets pounded hard. The pond above it used to be insane for bass as well. All but the middle (Griswold) have suffered from winter fish kills.

Posted Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. It never really seemed right to me, but Google maps had me fooled! I'll have to try the real Griswold Pond next spring. Know if there are any good trout fishing in there?

Posted Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Griswald Pond is the larger, upper pond as poster above noted. You can't miss seeing the folks fishing in the Spring. Sometimes a canoe and kayak as well. Wouldn't call it deep as it gets weeded over pretty good in the summer and pretty much sure why only stocked in the Spring. While we have caught quite a few trout there, I never saw any what I would call large...

Posted Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:12 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links