Still haven't landed one yet. I've only truly tried a handful of times, but both times felt pretty pointless. First time I bought some "magic" carp bait from dicks sporting goods. Read nothing but bad reviews, but it was too late. Then I tried a hair rig rigged with corn, but the birds moved in on the corn. The latest trip I tried dough bait, took regular dough, soaked it in strawberry koolaid, and just balled it up on the hook.

The stuff was nasty and barely would stay on the hook. I never felt confident the bait would stay on there, but reeling in would kill the cast. What's an easy bait I can feel confident on, and what type of hook should I use? I see carp cruising by all the time in a local pond. Also would they go for floating baits? I know carp like muddy bottom, but this pond has a lot of weeds at the bottom and am concerned the bait ill disappear into it.

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Years ago when we needed some chill/smoke time..

we used to use hawaiian punch fruit punch and oatmeal..mix them up into small meatball size balls around a very small trout style hook...we fished the sudbury mainly on occasion ..anchor around any bend..used 3 way swivel...one for main line..one for very heavy weight..other for line with hook and bait

now a days just tie a dropshot...chum with corn around area you are going to fish...than hang on..biggest we ever caught was 16.8 lbs

Im not a carp expert..Im sure abit has changed since we use to do it

hope this helps

Good luck

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:54 am

Magic Carp Bait = Corn, Creamy and Whole Kerrnall and the the Secret Weapon, GARLIC!!!! The Carp can't say no to the Garlic, especially in moving water. You still have a month left before they will be done, great luck to ya, feel free to ask any questions..

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:51 am

muskiebigfish

Magic Carp Bait = Corn, Creamy and Whole Kerrnall and the the Secret Weapon, GARLIC!!!! The Carp can't say no to the Garlic, especially in moving water. You still have a month left before they will be done, great luck to ya, feel free to ask any questions..

Yup. Canned corn is my go to bait for carp. It's cheap, stays on the hook, and most importantly, it works.

I know a few guys who toss the corn in a ziploc bag with some maple syrup or koolaid for added scent but it seems to work about the same.

Posted Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:02 am

Check out the trip on my profile. I started carp fishing in 2013, and I LOVE it. I pinpointed the spots and technique. Chum with whole kernel corn, use sweet kernel corn... A hook you'd use shiners for works perfect (maybe a size 4 if saltwater... I just eyeball my freshwater hooks and never pay attention to size)...

My adventure started with one guy's youtube video. I had to drive around check every bridge in Dedham/Needham to find his exact location. First trip out, I hooked and lost 3 in an afternoon. I never lost one again and caught a lot. I also got confident, moved from the spot, and found out the whole Charles is packed with them.

I did try a couple ponds where I saw carp, and I didn't have ANY luck... I stick to rivers. For a sure bet, check my trip... Sweet corn on bottom, chum, net, patience.

Posted Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Sweet corn, and a hook that will for three pieces and be entirely covered. A small egg sinker about 8 inches from the hook...

I use a small saltwater setup with the bait runner engaged.

Easy pickins at Leverett Pond in Brookline... Saw them doing dolphin twists yesterday.

Posted Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:09 am

They were popping all over, just feet from shore at Leverett again today...

Posted Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:13 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links