Anyone having any luck with the stockies on the fly rod? Been to Houghtons in Milton and Buckmaster in Westwood and the onyl fish I see being caught are on the god awful power bait - usually from the middle of the ponds.
Did get into a nice school of Crappie at Houghtons and caught 10 or so on a bead head Wolly Bugger.

Posted Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:20 am

been to the swift today for the first time fly fishing AND NO LUCK lol.
1hr and 40 mins drive just to... lets say... wash my flies lol.

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:35 pm

Umm fly fishing is like that sometimes.

If you are fishing dries then they may not waste the effort to pursue your lure.

If you are fishing wets then your presentation must be perfect so they don't have to work too hard.

Fly fishing is all about location and presentation.

Also FYI stocked trout love the powerbait. Wild trout on the other hand prefer something more terrestrial looking.

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:07 pm

I have been pretty successful in this low water using natural colored wooley buggers and muddlers. Been using cone heads to get lower in the water column and stacking my mends in order to get to the bottom of a hole.

Have also found some smallies in thinner water, but have to be a little more coy. use an unweighted bugger (still natural color), and let it dead drift with a small twitch a few times during said drift. stimulate the predatory instinct.

haven't been out much the last couple weeks due to life and being sick...but do hope to get out again this weekend.

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:31 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links