Hey, everyone! New guy here from Medford. I grew up in Colorado fishing for trout with my dad. Then I discovered cars and girls and didn't fish for a long, long time.

Now *I'm* the dad, so I'm back at it and trying to get my kids interested, too. Plus, I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of fishing for panfish and bass. Long story short, I'm pretty much a newbie, but I'm getting there. I hit Wright's Pond, Spot Pond and Quarter Mile Pond quite a bit, but just because I live near them. I'm trying to expand my fishing area and maybe find some water with more, you know, FISH!

Posted Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi there,

did you have any luck at spot pond? I'm in Medford too, and I've fished there a bunch of times this year, not too much luck though. one day I had too bites and another I caught a pretty good bass on a spinner:

other than that, not too much luck, it's kind of a weird lake, lots of long shallows and deep spots just off shore...

Posted Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Brother, I *never* have luck at Spot Pond. It's on the MA stocking schedule, but I think that's a dirty rotten lie. That's a pretty fish you caught, though...

I've been catching bluegills at Wrights with my fly rod. Nothing that's going to impress anyone, but FUN!

Posted Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:13 pm

fun is the name of the game

Posted Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:54 pm

I am from Medford too. Spot pond has huge bass in it but they are tough to catch. Not much cover there. They feed on a big abundance of crayfish. It is tough clearwater fishing but trust me there are monsters in there. I have a half dozen bass 5 lb plus caught ther and there are much bigger in there.

Posted Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:40 am

I believe you...I was realllly surprised at the one i caught. do you use live crayfish or crankbaits? I'll have to try them next time I go there I have some rebel deep running crayfish and whatnot. Are you just fishing from shore? I don't think you can put your own boat in there, unless you know something I don't...

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:42 pm

You're right, your are not allowed to put your own boat in Spot Pond. You can rent kayaks, canoes and such from Spot Pond Boating during the summer for 20-some-odd dollars an hour, but it's kind of a racket. They've gotten some bad press.

Have you ever been there at night? Sounds like a good place for night fishing...

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:55 pm

I wish I could put my boat in there, and yes Spot pond boating is a Monopoly ripoff.

Walk the shores in early spring and you will see huge pre spawn bass. I am talking 8 lb plus. It is not easy to catch bass there as I said before. I have seen bass swimming with my lures as if they were friends with it, but never strike. My best smallmouth was just over 4 lbs at Spot but from shore its hard to catch them there.

There is no cover and the only protection they have is depth. I would say night fishing is probably the best bet there.

Its a frustrating clear water place with lots of fish. It is like nowhere else I fish, the Bass just seem to act different there.

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:12 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links