so ive read it a million times before and even seen a few vids on youtube of guys succesfully using them but i wanna know if anyone has tryed it? im thinking about grabbing a pack for saturday morning and rigging 2 tip ups with hot dogs and the others with big dead shiners and see what happens. not the craziest thing ive ever heard of though cause ive seen a youtube vid of a guy getting a big topwater muskie bite on a chiucken carcus he had for dinner the night before so hot dogs arent a far cry lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhSqtbu_24M

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Put mustard and relish on one and sauerkraut on the other to cover all the bases. Sorry, couldn't resist!

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:52 pm

q354fc

Put mustard and relish on one and sauerkraut on the other to cover all the bases. Sorry, couldn't resist!

i knew it was coming from someone lol

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Seriously though, The other day I was reading an article by a British fisherman about using dead bait for Pike and one of the things he mentioned was hot dogs. I was pretty surprised but I'm not sure I would have the patience to sit very long with a hot dog on the line.

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:16 pm

Well if you use the whole sausage and rig it like a fat plastic worm with a large wide gap hook and stinger treble hook trailer rigged weightless and jigged...could be productive.

If you marinate the bait in fish attractant they might even be more productive.

So instead of "walking the dog" you would just be jigging the dog.

Add a glow stick attracter and you can call it a glow dog.

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:06 pm

thorn168

Well if you use the whole sausage and rig it like a fat plastic worm with a large wide gap hook and stinger treble hook trailer rigged weightless and jigged...could be productive.

If you marinate the bait in fish attractant they might even be more productive.

So instead of "walking the dog" you would just be jigging the dog.

Add a glow stick attracter and you can call it a glow dog.

Lol. Well I use 5/0 trokar flippin hooks on my tip ups for pike so id probly be wacky rigging the dogs . I make my own quick strike rigs but have heard so much controversy on them ( some say always use them some say don't ever use them) so I strayed away and stuck with the big trokars and I gotta say I haven't hooked a pike on 1 yet but the pickerel that I catch on them are hooked like nothing I ever seen beforr lol those friggin hooks are DEADLY! I may soak a bag of dogs overnight in anchovie oil and garlic powder

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 pm

I would not rig the hot dog wacky because pikes and pickerels strike oblong fish shaped objects "head" first. So if you rig the bait wacky you will miss the fish and lose the bait.

I say this because I had a pickerel attack a wacky rigged zoom worm I was fishing...lost fish because the bait was rigged wacky. I changed out the wacky worm for a curl tail grub on a fish eye jig head and cast back at the spot where the pickerel was and I caught him. I have the photo posted in my profile if you care to look.

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 pm

thorn168

I would not rig the hot dog wacky because pikes and pickerels strike oblong fish shaped objects "head" first. So if you rig the bait wacky you will miss the fish and lose the bait.

I say this because I had a pickerel attack a wacky rigged zoom worm I was fishing...lost fish because the bait was rigged wacky. I changed out the wacky worm for a curl tail grub on a fish eye jig head and cast back at the spot where the pickerel was and I caught him. I have the photo posted in my profile if you care to look.

funny? i was tought that the large majority of pike hits are broadsided which is the whole purpose of quick strike rigs, when the pike broadsides the bait you set the hook immediatly rather than waiting cause hes already got a treble in his mouth. not saying that you are wrong cause im certainly no pike expert ive only ever hooked one once and he broke off but cought plenty of picks and they always seem to hit the baits from the side then swim away and reposition it head first to swallow. anyone else care to chime in on this subject so i dont waste a pack of hot dogs out on the ice lol

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:33 pm

also ive read on many forums to put a flourecsent bead on your tip up leader just above the hook to give the fish a specific target area to home in on when attacking the bait so i plan on making some new leaders friday each with a bead or 2 , maybe ill put a red bead and a yellow bead on each just to have a nice visible target just above my bait

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 pm

Seems reasonable stripers love hotdogs

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:10 am

bassinbrooksy

thorn168

funny? i was tought that the large majority of pike hits are broadsided which is the whole purpose of quick strike rigs, when the pike broadsides the bait you set the hook immediatly rather than waiting cause hes already got a treble in his mouth. not saying that you are wrong cause im certainly no pike expert ive only ever hooked one once and he broke off but cought plenty of picks and they always seem to hit the baits from the side then swim away and reposition it head first to swallow. anyone else care to chime in on this subject so i dont waste a pack of hot dogs out on the ice lol

Many times I have seen pickerel grab a bait from the side and just lay there with the head sticking out one side and the tail sticking out the other. Don't have a ton of experience with Pike but they are similar fish in a lot of ways.
Was fishing Knopps pond in Groton a long time ago and was getting flag after flag but could not hook up. There was an older gent there that was catching a lot of fish and we got talking. He told me to let the fish (pickerel) feel a little resistance, as if the bait were trying to get away, and the fish would then swallow it right down. Next flag, this fish was laying right below the tip up and I could see him lying there with the bait sideways in his mouth. I started to tug it a little bit and he swallowed it right up. It worked and use that technique to this day.

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:58 am

Pike will broadside fish but are you using fish as bait? No you are using a hot dog...about 6 inches long and about a inch in diameter. Think about presentation of the bait in cold murky water...if you rig it wacky and the pike broadsides it...the bait will roll 90 degrees with the hook pointing away from the mouth of the fish. On the hook set you will break the soggy sausage and pull the hook right out of the fish's mouth.

But if you rig it the way I suggest with the hook in the head and a stinger in back, it doesn't matter which angle the fish attacks from you will hook up with him.

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:22 pm

I would not rig the hot dog wacky

my new catch phrase

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:47 pm

well i got a bag of kayem red's natural casings at the house soaking in a bag of sardine oil and chopped garlic lol. ill post results some point tomorrow.

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:50 pm

You're making me hungry! Hope your new tactic works out.

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:10 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links