i just read teh other postst about the ethanol and tbh i ruined a 15 hp engine that way last summer

i used gas that was stored for a while and i guess the watert /solvent problem hit it

so my question now
i mixed a 1,5 gal fill and have it sit since a week or two and don't wanna throw out the gas ( wouldt even know where )

sometimes i need all 1.5 gallons sometimes i don't

- can i use normal homezdepot stabilizer ?

- how long is the longest you would store gas i a plastic can and still use it ?

Posted Fri May 20, 2011 12:57 pm

I just got my 9.9 Johnson back from the repair shop. It quit while on Quabbin and I would have been stranded had it not been for my electric trolling motor. The culprit was old gas. I had used a stabilizer and another additive and it didn't help. The mechanic told me he wouldn't keep gas longerr than a month.

Posted Fri May 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Use sea-foam and you will get shelf life for a year. Today's gas only has a 30 day or less shelf life to it. I use sea-foam in anything with a small engine up to my vehicles. This is the best stuff I've seen.
I bought a generator back in the ice storm a few years ago and i still have same gas in it with sea foam and i run it every month. My auger is the same i start i started it up this year with last seasons gas and off i went. I also replaced all my fuel lines and use an additive called startron for older motors. The new gas will eat the insides of old fuel lines and then you will be definitely stranded.
JMO

Posted Fri May 20, 2011 3:21 pm

yeah i had the same trolly motor saved the day - and the battery for that cant be big and charged enuff

will look for the sea foam thing

ty

Posted Sat May 21, 2011 7:32 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links