I've been successfully catching trout using a slip sinker rig, #8 gold egg hook and floating PowerEggs.

The problem is that the hook ends up so deep I can't get it out.

I'm trying to set the hook as soon as I see my rod tip move, as to increase my changes of lip hooking the fish, but it doesn't seem to help.

Doe's anyone have any advice as to how to prevent hooking the fish so deep?

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:36 pm

yeah thats the prob with trout - when i go for them i prepare for keeping them - thats mostlikely why i only target them 2/3 times a year

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:41 pm

When using powerbait or the likes it seems as though the trout always swallow the bait and hook very deep. I have been trout fishing with my father for many years, and he always said "if you're fishing with power bait it's bound to be dinner". The only way i know to have the trout lip hooked is by using a spinner or spoon or something like that. Good luck to ya!

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:55 pm

It sounds like I need to switch baits.

I'll have to give salmon eggs, worms or salad shrimp a try.

It's just that PowerBait is so convenient.

Since they don't float, I think I try using a float.

BTW, I have been eating the trout, but I would be nice to have the option to release them too.

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:19 pm

Try crushing down the barb on the hook. Also maybe look into getting a hook remover, which works really well removing deeply set but de-barbed hooks.

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:56 pm

thorn168

Try crushing down the barb on the hook. Also maybe look into getting a hook remover, which works really well removing deeply set but de-barbed hooks.

I do crush the barbs.

Can you recommend a hook remover?

I've tried needle-nose pliers, forceps and a hook disgorger without good results.

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Another option is to take up fly fishing Very Happy

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:50 pm

bloomagoo

That's on the to do list.

My wife knows I want to take a fly-fishing course at Concord Outfitters.

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:04 pm

umm....I hate to tell ya but you can still gut hook a fish while fly fishing. Especially if you use one of those size 16 dry flys.

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Yeah, unfortunately gut hooking fish is something that happens pretty regular, especially with trout and their subtle takes. Degorgers and barbless hooks are a good move and keeping the ones that are beyond help.

I find that trout are just one of those species that have a higher fatality rate. Active fishing such as lure fishing and fly fishing does help..because you are moving the bait and setting the hook quicker then letting something sit till a trout hits it. I agree that you will still deep hook some, but it is less in my experience.

End of the day though quick reflexes and some practiced fish care are the only things you can do and even then..it isn't always a happy ending for the trout.

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:28 pm

In the last 6 - 7years I have NEVER gut hooked a trout while using the Trout Magnet jigs . 99% Hooked in the upper jaw . Really hate seeing the Power bait treble hook rigs stuck in the trees ..Killer rigs.

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:36 pm

azmlii

bloomagoo

That's on the to do list.

My wife knows I want to take a fly-fishing course at Concord Outfitters.

Idk how far you are but Bass Pro Shops offers a fly casting class as well and the guy who runs it is an awesome guy. He is the person who took me fly fishing for smallies last week up in NH for the week. Learned a lot from him.(him and my dad grew up together) but tell him bobby kizel sent you if you do end up going there.

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:31 am

azmlii

I've been successfully catching trout using a slip sinker rig, #8 gold egg hook and floating PowerEggs.

The problem is that the hook ends up so deep I can't get it out.

I'm trying to set the hook as soon as I see my rod tip move, as to increase my changes of lip hooking the fish, but it doesn't seem to help.

Doe's anyone have any advice as to how to prevent hooking the fish so deep?

Thanks,
Patrick

it is really hard to detect a trout bite especially using power bait by the time you see your rod tip twitch the fish swallowed it all ready sometimes they will just sit there with the power bait in there mouth you wont even know it. thats why ive really started shying away from power bait and started to use night crawlers idk if you know about this but there is a thing called a worm blower its just a small empty plastic bottle with a hypodermic needle that you can stick in the worm and fill it with air to get it to float off the bottom works awesome!! but anyway and small shiners using small circle hooks with the shiners. but a good way to detect really soft bites is to get some medium sized bobbers and a paper clip and attach it to one end of the bobber and hang the little set up on your line either after you first or second eye lite you want to tighten the line just enough so there is about a 12 to 6 inch dip in your line and then just wait its actually really cool because if you have the line just tight enough you can watch your shinner start getting scared and star bounce around they the bobber shoots right up or just starts to keep up.

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:03 am

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/anglerboater/1999/julaug99/catgrfiv.gif

this a good picture of how to set it up works like a charm i havnt gut hooked a trout since last fall

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:24 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links