Hey all! I know it has been awhile since I posted anything to the site (college and deer hunting have a way of sucking up all your free time), but I have some questions regarding ice fishing and lake trout. My Dad and I heading up to Ossipee NH for a little ice fishing and were hoping to tangle with some lake trout. The problem is, we don’t really know that much about rigs and setups for lake trout. I was wondering if anybody here had any experience or tips to share. We were thinking of using tip up devices for the duration of the day, and I was wondering what type of line and terminal tackle to use. I was thinking something along lines of 10-lb braided line with some low visibility mono leader (lake trout being trout/char after all) with a three way swivel, small hook with either a live shiner or cut sucker on one end, and a 1 0z. sinker off of the other. Will this be appropriate or should I try a different tactic? Do I even need the leader, or should I just go braided line all the way down to the hook? Like I said, I’m in unfamiliar territory here. A few legal notes. Local game laws forbid the use of multi hook/lure rigs on trout and salmon lakes, so this has to be a one line one hook type of deal (no double hook rigs or treble hooks). Also, we are limited to two devices per person, so we are thinking of putting out four tip ups in a pattern. I have some idea as to the type of structure I should look for (underwater islands, shelves and steep drop off areas and the like), but does anybody have any type of idea about location variances based on this time of year (we are going next weekend)? Should I fish off the bottom or try a shallow setup? I am thinking of a mix.

Any information at all would be appreciated.

Posted Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:18 pm

im fairly new to laker fishing!! only done it from shore!!

ive caught my on metals!! but ive heard they come up shallow!!

i wouldnt use a 3 way rig!! id put a sliding weight on the tip up! fish dead and live bait on bottom!!

tube jigs buck tails spoons would work!!

Posted Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:32 pm

I caught my first laker for my friend with a split shot rig with a 3 ft 4lb leader and twelve pound test main line, it took ,me literally like three minutes after I had casted for about a twenty inch lake trout to bite. I caught him released and repeated the process. It was lots of fun!

Posted Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:05 pm

i find putting a split shot about 6 feet from the hook holds the bait in the strike zone. Especially if its a lively minnow. Also hook them in the back the flutter better then a spoon

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:16 pm

I did fairly well on tip-up for laker in NY. They are swimming exactly 10 feet below the ice. I tend to put my shiners (alive or dead.. not matter) at 8-9 feet deep. You should catching them.. (BTW, I was fishing at 130 feet deep.)

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:36 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links