I was beginning to think the title"maff-a-ites unite" was playing itself out and with GREAT results....tell ya'll the truth here...I LOVE ICE ...even as late as 36 yrs old(40 is the NEW 2Cool I was STILL regularly sneaking out of bed at 1-2-3am and skating FOR HOURS in the black of night....yea I know --I'm a SICK DUDE...
I still own a decent pair of BAUERS I haven't used since I moved to the hot bed of fishing(Wista)3 winters ago now hahahahahaaa.The Reason I bring this up is I'm NEVER EVER "board" on the ice---If "They're' not hittin....We throw up some nets and school the locals "MAFF-ICE-TEAM" style---now that would be HILARIOUS !"Yea we went out to a fishin' tourney and won 4-3 in OT"---
I merely put this together to gain the interest of some of the guys who might not want to come stand around tilts 'board' or hammered just t' cope with ADVERSE conditions----looking in your direction here Shawn hahah---BELIEVE me I've spent 1,000's of hours on Massachusetts' frozen water and IT's THE BEST !
And who could pass on hagnin' out for a day here n there during the sucky winter with the guys off MAFF ?---I think it'd be great to keep the spirit I've seen all Summer on this site going YEAR 'ROUND -----yes this sucks,no doubt...but we could help each other forget how bad it sucks by rippin some fatty's outta thier homes and roastin' em up --And hey...if a hockey game DID break out --I'm ALL OVER THAT SH** hahahahahaha

Posted Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:07 am

HAHAHA I still play hockey!!! I'd definitely bring my skates. That's the best way to stay warm. I'll tell ya your getting me revved up for some ice fishing but we'll see how that goes when the temps drop

Posted Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:28 am

I whole heartedly agree w/ Ted in regards to a statement he made under "maff-unite" lets make a good list of places and bearing in mind winter parking is waaay harder than the other fishing(seasons) for OBVIOUS reasons so BRING YOUR IMPLEMENTS OF DESTRUCTION-(a little thanksgiving reference there) though I doubt most will get it . . .

Posted Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:01 am

When the fish ain't bitin ice fishing,I play ice golf to stay warm
and active.It is usually a nine hole course.Drill some holes about
20 feet apart and not too deep.Providing there isn't much snow
on the ice.We use our sounders for golf balls.Simple rules,toss
the sounder towards the hole.Sometimes we bring a hockey stick
or old golf club to hit the sounder closer to the hole.If no stick or
club,then we use our feet.We have a stick in the hole so you can
see where it is.Just something to do so your not bored.A list of places
to fish would be nice.Try to come up with a list so everybody has an
opportunity to fish close to home.In New Hampshire parking is tough.
It is law that you must be parked off the pavemnet during the winter.
Just a heads up for those interested in NH fishing.

Posted Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:24 am

Last year was brutal for parking. Luckily for the tournament we had in RI there were a couple of guys willing to plow out the state ramp and parking. Here's hoping for the freezing temps without the snow pack.

Posted Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:04 pm

I'm watching the threads for ice fishing notes now...this is WORSE than playin' guitar !!! When I started fishing again in the spring this year I THOUGHT I'd look @ a less expensive 'HOBBY' Hey ! I know ! I'll get back into FISHING ! Well I'm here t' say BOY WAS I WAAAAAAY OFF ! One can go SERIOUSLY coo-coos nest with ALL the COOL technology they've got out there now...I still remember when hook,line,&sinker was how "one" caught fish...I'm hoping there's enough sticks around during the hockey games hahahahahaaaa

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Definately getting excited for some ice fishing this season!!! Count me in- a little hockey, some ice golf and lots of fish is the best way to spend a day in the winter!

Also, I will definately be hosting at least one day on the ice from my house (Lake Boone)- parking could probably fit around 6-8 vehicles pending on the snow situation. This past winter was my first experience on the ice at Boone and more often than not it was non-stop flags with bass, big pickeral and even a couple catfish! I'll post something a couple weeks in advance when the time comes. For now...still plenty of open water Lunkers to pursue- whoooooooo!

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 pm

riverrat82

I'm watching the threads for ice fishing notes now...this is WORSE than playin' guitar !!! When I started fishing again in the spring this year I THOUGHT I'd look @ a less expensive 'HOBBY' Hey ! I know ! I'll get back into FISHING ! Well I'm here t' say BOY WAS I WAAAAAAY OFF ! One can go SERIOUSLY coo-coos nest with ALL the COOL technology they've got out there now...I still remember when hook,line,&sinker was how "one" caught fish...I'm hoping there's enough sticks around during the hockey games hahahahahaaaa

Yip, wicked wrong on fishing being less expensive. I thought the same. FYI ice fishing is not better haha.
I got spare hockey sticks too.
Not sure i'm up for drilling,setting tilts,hockey and be able to work the next day,haha
But i can bring the gear and hold a stick while standing next to my tilts
I probably don't get out as much as other guys (kids sports don't stop). But it looks like we might have sparked some more interest this season and i will make a run to Boone and also give advanced notice if people want to drive this way.

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm ACTUALLY getting RAMPED UP for this ICE SEASON stuff now !It's been 3 YEARS since I skated and my knee and my back are in NO KINDA SHAPE to do it...But,I feel like I "flipped the hour-glass" this year having turned 40 so I'm IN! and I can think of much worse mid-life crisises I could have had besides fishing and chillin' out w/ 'The Mafferz'
... If I can get my smoker over t' JayWallz's t' get it customized a little before the ice gets formed up I can run a seriously KICK ASS grille' lakeside.---My Vote for ICEsite(s): QUABOAG POND ! But'chy'all KNEW THAT already though didn'tchya hahahahahahahahaaa MAN I LOVE THE QUAY !

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:01 am

jwall046

Not sure i'm up for drilling,setting tilts,hockey and be able to work the next day,haha
But i can bring the gear and hold a stick while standing next to my tilts

Jay, don't you have a gas auger?? Are you gonna be sore from holding on to that thing too tight?? haha...I have a 6" hand auger, but might look into getting an 8" in case I make an effort to get some pike. I figure every hole I drill = 1 beer Smile Keeps me fit!

I made some tip ups last year, and they were ready just in time for ice out, so I never got to try them out. Right now I'm making a set for my brother and my dad for xmas...I'll post up some pics when I get everything in order. If you have the time, its fun...I think they'll end up being a little cheaper than brand new traps...but it's a pretty serious time investment.

That being said...water temps in the Sudbury were 46 as of yesterday...bring on the cold nights!

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:51 pm

volume4130

I have a 6" hand auger, but might look into getting an 8" in case I make an effort to get some pike. I figure every hole I drill = 1 beer Smile Keeps me fit!

I have always believed if I can fall through it I will..now I'm sure of it knowing you guys will be drilling that many holes

Haha I kid I kid..though I do fish all through the winter I do it on what open water I can find. I will have to stop by Boone and say hi though.

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:16 am

riverrat82

I'm ACTUALLY getting RAMPED UP for this ICE SEASON stuff now !It's been 3 YEARS since I skated and my knee and my back are in NO KINDA SHAPE to do it...But,I feel like I "flipped the hour-glass" this year having turned 40 so I'm IN! and I can think of much worse mid-life crisises I could have had besides fishing and chillin' out w/ 'The Mafferz'
... If I can get my smoker over t' JayWallz's t' get it customized a little before the ice gets formed up I can run a seriously KICK ASS grille' lakeside.---My Vote for ICEsite(s): QUABOAG POND ! But'chy'all KNEW THAT already though didn'tchya hahahahahahahahaaa MAN I LOVE THE QUAY !

I'll try and help with the smoker,No worries.
Just a forewarning about the boag. I have friends that will not step foot on that place. It's kinda a hit or miss deal.Go big or go home. That's kinda Pike fishing though. I'll be more than happy to fish there with anyone if i can. But it is not known for it numbers and sometime quality is hard through the ice. But as long as nobody has any preconceived notions I'm in.
I have a spot i want to try (Whitehall,Rutland) this season too. Bring the kids and wives if they like the outdoors as well.

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:58 am

I always just vote Quaboag for regional sake Jay...just another way to crack myself up on the internet...Brian'TheBack_WoodsBass lives in Rutland...I'd be into that ...I've got no 'family' per say so I'm not sure I'm still invited now though?...? hahahahahahaaaa

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:24 pm

[b]It's been in the UPPER 30's pretty much every over night now...WE'RE getting CLOSER ! I'd like to suggest a spot for the 1st ICER of the year...(FOR MAFF OF COURSE)...Holland Res? does that get your ice-hairs up? is it TOO FAR for some?...some nice fish in there ! think about it---but not too long ICE IS COMING !

[

Last edited by riverrat82 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:09 am

Not far for me. If i'm available for any one of these i'd like to attend.

Posted Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:44 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links