I'm new to this board, old to boards, retired, etc. etc. I grew up in NY, fishing the upstate lakes and the LI shores so I was and still am a Garcia Mitchell guy. I've been out of fishing for some years but now am getting back into it. It's called retirement.

Also, I'm an old book, old tools, old stuff guy, old rods, old reels, old furniture, etc. Retired from libraries, counseling, carpentry, etc.

I have this thing about using old stuff so my rigs are always old. Conolon rods and Mitchell reels. One Shimano 10 spinning reel and one Zebco Omega Pro to try out on a Garcia Companion rod. You get the picture. For me, it's all just pure enjoyment. I don't compete, I just relax. Being on a fixed income, I relax even more now.

Looking forward to getting lines wet and sunburnt again.

Gary

Posted Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Welcome aboard Gary.
This is the friendliest site i have ever seen!
That is awesome that you use old stuff!
But there is no old lead free lures out there.
Pm me your e-mail and i will be happy to direct you to some lead free lures.
Welcome again,
Jay

Posted Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Not to worry, no leaded lures will ever touch water on my watch. Those old Garcia lures stay in the collecting bins.

I'm fairly basic. Some rapala crankbaits. Small spoons with pork rind, spinners with pork rind or none, flies on leaders with small tube bobbers, whatever works.

My favorite salt water rig, which I have to recreate, was and is a spreader made from a coat hanger. Very hi tech. Lots of flounder ended up as supper on those rigs and I intend to continue that tradition.

Posted Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Welcome aboard! What part of New York are you from? I grew up outside Albany, and went to school on Long Island.

You'll find some good stuff on this site, and people are pretty sharing with their information and spots...

Jay - Nice subliminal advertising there, haha. No Shame!!

Posted Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 pm

I'm originally from NYC - Queens - Jamaica & New Hyde Park, in that order, then then Stony Brook, then Albany, then Boston and now south of Boston.

I certainly miss the LI fishing more than anything else. A move closer to the seashore is on my mind at this point. Too many years land locked is getting to me. Not exactly LI but better than nothing. Plymouth area possibly.

Posted Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:40 am

Nice, I went to school at CW Post in Brookville, but grew up in Niskayuna.

There seem to be a lot of shore spots to do some striper fishing within an hours drive of you...check out Cape Ann or Winthrop beach areas.

Posted Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:46 pm

True, there are spots within an hour or so but, and the but is, I have limited vision in one eye and don't drive at night or dusk if I can help it in areas I don't know well and try to stay off 128 in rush hour if I can help it. You'll thank me for that one!

Plus, and I have to admit this is me being really spoiled by where I grew up, the Boston area and northern MA beaches just don't make it for me. I'm a Suffolk County beach guy. Starting around mid-southeast Ma coast seems to be more my speed. Hey, I need my comfort!

Posted Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:39 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links