ive heard rumors about the federal government is trying to push for a salt water license for catching stripers. is this true? well until this weekend i didnt really believe it. i was reading a local news paper in maine and there was a big article on it and im afraid its true. the state of maine is supposed to be one of the first states to activate this license and charging $25.00 for it. all though they are not doing it until 2010. and im sure that massachusetts is not far behind has anybody heard anything about this here and when they are supposed to activate the license here and what there going to charge.

if they promote this license and you go salt water fishing howe are they going to regulate wheather or not you are trying to catch stripers or something else

whats your input on this

Posted Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:21 pm

I heard that it was for all "recreational" fishing. In Ct its still under discussion and no firm decision has been made to my knowledge yet. There is a lot of discussions and comments against this law from every type of fisherman here. Especially from the charter boat and party boat industries. It is suposed to be for "recreational" fishermen by design. But, what exactly the "recreational" fisherman is has not yet been defined. I believe its another ploy by our state governing bodies to add more money to their pet perks. If you think us in the fishing profession (professionally or recreationally) will see any of the money to help us out, you don't have your head screwed on right.
Capt Phil

Posted Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:01 am

http://www.patriotledger.com/archive/x2036715562/Federal-government-wants-licenses-for-salt-water-fishing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The federal government wants salt water sport fishermen in Massachusetts to register to fish in federal waters next year and start paying for the privilege in a couple of years.

The New England states, including Massachusetts, are among the few that do not require a license for fishing for fun in salt water. The federal government can’t do anything about state waters, but go more than 3 miles from shore next year, and the federal government wants to know who you are and where you’re fishing.

Recreational anglers and spearfishers would be required to be registered under the rule proposed Wednesday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

NOAA’s Fisheries Service said it wants to get more accurate data on recreational fish catches. Commercial fishers already need licenses or permits and thus would not have to register again, the agency said.

The registry is required under a change in the law and would cover recreational fishing in federal waters as well as fishing anywhere for anadromous species, such as striped bass, salmon and shad, which spawn in rivers and streams and spend their adult lives in estuaries and the ocean.

Registrations will include an angler’s name, address, telephone number and the regions where fishing is conducted. NOAA said this information will not be made public; it will be used only to conduct surveys.

States that issue their own saltwater fishing licenses could apply for an exemption if their records provide enough information for the federal database. Those include the states on the West Coast, including Alaska; the Gulf Coast; and the South Atlantic.

Hawaii and the states from New Jersey to Maine do not require such licenses, NOAA said. The agency hopes the federal program will encourage those states to start their own licensing programs.

NOAA said registration would be free the first two years and an annual fee ranging from $15 to $25 would be imposed starting in 2011.

Those under age 16 would be exempt and fees would be waived for indigenous people, such as members of federally recognized tribes.

Anglers who fish only on licensed party, charter or guide boats would also be exempt, since these vessels are surveyed separately from the angler surveys.

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:22 am

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if any of your Fishing clubs or "Associations" in MA are going to do anything as far as making know to their various political members what their feeling and concerns are about what this proposed action will do to the tourist income to the various business they visit they visit. The "fishing industry" in Ct. brings in millions of dollars to hotels/motels. resturants, gas stations, tackle shops and various other businesses frequented by visiting fishermen. Think of the losses these people will have.

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:09 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links