Hello,
I'm intersted in kayak fishing, I'd like to just get a kayak and go. Would it be wise to take kayak lessons if I'vve never used one before? Or are they pretty straight forward...get in and paddle?

thanks

Matt

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:51 am

i am hating myself for even advertising the place cause the guys renting there always spoil my fishing on charles but

there is a lot of rental places on the charles - one next to the big hotel where masspike meets the hiway

forgot the name but google is your friend

i think thats best to get a feel for it u can also take ur fishing stuff and can choose between types of boats - its pretty basic but u have to get used to

just stay on the right or left when a bass boat comes by Wink

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:16 pm

yeah he's right, go to the charles river boat place, lol close as i get to the name. it's on rte 30 in front of the newton marriot.
definately take a lesson you need to learn how to roll just in case.
and yeah obey the bass boats, haha

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:20 pm

I highly endorse Charles River Canoe and Kayak. Bring your rod, sunscreen, hat, water and something to eat and they'll set you up with a sit-in or sit-on-top yak of your choice, paddle and PFD. I rented from them before I bit the bullet on my own kayak. Newton is the main site and will have the largest selection of boats. The "nicer" site is in Needham. Fewer boats but much nicer water if you paddle upstream and less kayak traffic overall.

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:50 pm

I never took any lessons when i bought my kayakl from Dick's, then again, I dont "Yak" on fast moving waters or huge lakes where getting flipped would be an issue.

Its pretty self explanatory, the only thing Ive found hard about it is getting back in it after dumping in open water. My kayak isnt a sporty or pro yak. Its a cheesey 2 piece (top and bottom glued together) that would flood if I tried to get in it from the rear or front so a swim to shore is required with my style yak.

Though Ive never flipped it in over 5 yrs, I tried swimming out with it one day and trying to get back in it and thats when I figured out its not happening without the land.

Just a heads up.

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 4:03 pm

If you get a sit-on-top you can avoid this problem. They don't sink (unless they spring a leak) and they're a lot easier to re-enter if you fall off.

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 4:37 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links