I've had my new kayak about a month or so now and have been out in it 5-6 times. I pretty much have it set up the way I want it for fishing aside from possibly a soft tackle box.

I installed a Humminbird pirahnamax 175 fishfinder. It will be nice to finally know wanter temp, structure, drop offs, etc. I made a bracket and attached the transducer to the rear of the kayak about 2'' up from the bottom. The screen is mounted on the slidetrax.

I put silent tracion on the places I stand and lay down tools

Added a Scotty rod holder

I got a small achor and attached it to a retractable dog leash. This works awsome, keeps everything neat and clean and if you flip there is no rope to get tangled in.

This kayak makes fishing much more enjoyable compared to my old small sink kayak. I sit nice and high for casting, plenty of room for all my equipment, and it's stable enough to stand and fish (which I'm still getting comfortable with)

Thanks for reading, just thought I would share for some of the other kayak guys on this site.

[img]
http://www.mafishfinder.com/users/k/knpc/photos/1366572498_0sFO2hy8v.jpg[/img]

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:30 pm

wow that came out great!

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Dang nice job.... Looks great!

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Looks great! I have the exact same kayak and have only had it out a few times so far, but what a great boat. Just waiting to put the STS on and should be good to go for the year. Hope to see you at some of the kayak tournaments this season!

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Well done.

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:51 am

That is an awesome set-up!
Be aware that having the traducer behind you that you will never truly know what structure is under the yak.
Sonars only read live in the 1st 1/2" reading from right to left. The remaining area of screen is the history. So you will know what is 10' or more in back of you.
Good luck out there!

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:00 am

jwall, good advice.

That's a lean mean fishin' machine!

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks
I did consider the tranducer location. I wanted it in the water instead of thru hull so that limited where I could mount it. The transducer didn't fit in the scupper holes as I had planned, so I was left with either a tranducer ram mount off the side or the stern. I'm hoping at the slow speeds of paddling/drifting that the FF will give me the info I'm after even with it mounted on the back.

I'll get to try it out in a couple weeks at the first kayak tournament Smile

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Great job rigging your kayak.

That STS stuff looks sweet. I'm on the fence about getting some for my boat. It's kind of pricey.

Cool idea with the dog leash. No worries that it isn't strong enough?

The transducer setup looks great too.

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Sweet Ride!!! Enjoy

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:29 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links