I had a trolling motor on my last kayak, and just got around to fabbing up everything to install it on my current yak. Its fairly easy to do once everything is planned out, I modified a Minn Kota trolling motor, welded up a mount, ran some stering cables to the foot pedals, and a bit of wiring.

It's not something I use all the time. But on larger ponds/lakes, it allows me to fish places that would otherwise be too far to paddle to. I tried it out today at a good size pond this morning, it works great and I caught 4 bass, 2 perch, and 2 pickerel.

[/img]

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:51 pm

So Kevin, when are you going to register your boat? Once you add the motor it becomes mandatory.

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:09 pm

I knew that would be the first reply Very Happy
Yes, I know any vessel with a motor has to be registered.

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:13 pm

I knew that would be the first reply Very Happy
Yes, I know any vessel with a motor has to be registered.

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:13 pm

that's an awesome setup

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:18 pm

Very cool setup! A guy I work with bought two wilderness yaks this weekend and might be interested in doing a similar setup. Looks like a nice clean fab and installation, good job.

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:02 pm

That's awesome!

Nice work.

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:42 pm

I have the same kayak, I am very interested now

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks guys, it really is a nice thing to put on when going to bigger ponds. Also on a windy day like today it was great, all I have to do is turn the throttle dial and steer with my feet. Never had to put the rod down all day to paddle. I can put it on power level one and slowly work the shoreline or put it on 5 and fly to the next spot with the 55 lb thrust motor.
It's really just a homemade bassyaks kit for a fraction of the price that they charge. Their kit is nice, just pricey for what it is.

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:52 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links