Hi guys,

Need some help here. Over the summer I foolishly dragged my kayak (12 ft Wilderness Systems Pungo) on gravel several times.

I am pretty sure this has created a small leak on the back of the yak. It scraped the bottom and rubbed away enough plastic to create a hole.

Anyone have a suggestion as to where I can bring the boat to be repaired? I think I need someone to bond a small chunck of plastic to the bottom of the back to seal the hole.

thanks,
jj

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:39 am

I'm not positive but depending on the size of the hole try "GLOVE IT".
It seals any holes up to 1/4 diameter.
I used it to seal my aluminum boats and it's awesome!
If this doesn't help i'd say Google plastic repair. It might be easier than expected?

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks for the info JWall.

Do you happen to have a link to this product?

All google turns up is a Women's Golf Glove website

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Probably woulda helped if i spelled it correct,haha
I'm not sure where you live but i think USA marine,Worcester carries it.

http://www.marinetex.com/gluvit.html

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:06 pm

Great, thanks for the link.

This product, Marine-Tex® Epoxy Putty looks like exactly what I need. Then I can use the GluvIt as a top coat.

thanks for the info!

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:26 pm

if that stuff dont work and it prob. will as long as you dont keep draging it. you can try plumbers they do plastic welding. i made a carrier out of 1/2" gas pipe and 2 plastis wheels i found in the trash atached with bungee cords works great

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Thanks Basshunter. I've learned my lesson.

I'll try not to drag anymore. It's just that my local spot was closed off all summer so I couldn't get my boat to the water. Instead of taking my time I just loaded it up and dragged it to the water.

I also found this kit that may be a better choice (albeit a little more expensive)

http://www.urethanesupply.com/Kayak-and-Canoe-Welders-1/KC-Welder/Kayak-and-Canoe-Welders-1

I like your carrier idea. All I really need is a wheel or two to attach to one side of the boat.

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Is it made of plastic , like a crawdad or pelican? If so their is a place online to buy a plastic welding kit. The kit is easy to use and the price is great! I used it to repair my crawdad several times.

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:26 pm

having trubble downloading a pic for you to see for the kyack carier if you hav a pic phone i can text som pics for you just pm me your phone number

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:25 pm

nofx99

Is it made of plastic , like a crawdad or pelican? If so their is a place online to buy a plastic welding kit. The kit is easy to use and the price is great! I used it to repair my crawdad several times.

Yes, it is plastic.

Do you have a link to the kit you used? I linked to one about that retails for around $50.

thanks!

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:11 pm

thats the kit! works great. i just realized u had the link before i posted.

Posted Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:44 pm

Great, thanks for the info.

I think I'll just buy that kit and save myself any hassles of trying to do something different. (or cheaper)

Posted Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:14 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links