Whatever you called them, Lake Trout, Chu, Lakers, tongue, mud chickens and etcs..

I was curious to go after them on Quabbin lake with kayak. (only in June) I never been at this lake nor catch lake trout in mass before. I wanted to check off my bucket list for species that I haven't caught yet. Monster Lake trout would be nice! lol

So, what's your advice for me for after them? I assume that they will be suspended around deep areas. I'll probably use fluke jig or live bait for them.

Also, any special rules that I need to know before going to Quabbin lake? since I heard they have strict boat rules. but anything related to kayak that I plan to use?

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:56 am

deaffisherman

Whatever you called them, Lake Trout, Chu, Lakers, tongue, mud chickens and etcs..

I was curious to go after them on Quabbin lake with kayak. (only in June) I never been at this lake nor catch lake trout in mass before. I wanted to check off my bucket list for species that I haven't caught yet. Monster Lake trout would be nice! lol

So, what's your advice for me for after them? I assume that they will be suspended around deep areas. I'll probably use fluke jig or live bait for them.

Also, any special rules that I need to know before going to Quabbin lake? since I heard they have strict boat rules. but anything related to kayak that I plan to use?

Not so sure about Quabbin, but you can get Lakers out of Wachusett Res too. You can only fish from shore there and it is closed for the season now, but you can get them in numbers at times.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am

Really? (i know they are closed until April.)

Anyway, I can't fish on kayak at Wachusett Reservoir?

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:19 pm

Nope they dont let anything in Wachusett or Sudbury Res. I think there is one more but is escapes me right now.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Sorry, you can't use a kayak at Quabbin. They do rent some for use above the dam at gate 43 but you can't bring them on the main reservoir. You must have a minimum of a 12 foot boat and it must have the Quabbin seal on it or you will be not be able to launch. Your best bet would be just to rent a boat. I believe it is around $45.00 for a boat and motor for the day. Your best bet for a Laker is trolling in the early Spring. We troll small shiners and lures targeting Salmon right on the surface with planer boards and pick up a lot of Lake Trout. When the water is in the fifties they can be anywhere and will be sometimes be very shallow. My biggest Laker this year was in about 4 feet of water while making a turn around a point. If you are a NY resident you can buy a one day license for $5.00 that is good for Quabbin only and can be purchased right at the gate. It is a really great deal considering the quality of the fishing and the overall experience of fishing Quabbin. If you google 'Quabbin Fishing' you should be able to get a ton of info. Good luck if you go. By the way - it is closed for the winter and should open mid to late April next year.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:43 pm

q354fc - Okay, thank much about quabbin info! Seem that I'll rent boat to get out there.

Anyway, do rental boat has planerboard or downrigger? or that is only personal yours and bring to on rental boat?

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:49 pm

No, the rental boats don't have anything. They make portable down riggers you can buy for around $100.00 but if you go in the Spring you really don't need to go deep. The primary reason we use planer boars is that we can fish about 6 lines ( 3 fisherman) off the back without any tangles. If you are by yourself or with one other fisherman you could easily troll 2 - 3 lines as long as you don't make any sharp turns. We do really well with a very small lure called a DB Smelt that is sold locally. For some reason we seem to catch more Lakers on that then we do on live shiners. Don't know why. You would be amazed at how many Smallmouth Bass we take with this method while targeting Salmon. We have caught them on the surface in the middle of the reservoir in 65 - 70 feet of water. I can only guess that they are out there chasing schools of Smelt around. Once the water warms up the salmanoids head a little deeper and that's where the down riggers are necessary. By then, I have usually switched over to Bass fishing which can be incredible there.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Ahs, allright. Sound good. much thanks for info about quabbin and rental boat.

I am only have June-July window to fish for them. So, I guess they will be at deeper water.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:40 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links