i fished there last year, WAY WAY back into a huge cove into multonbourgh. we stayed further past lees mill!

i struggled big time!! i was ill prepared for deep fishing!

just wondering if anybody has any lure advice, depth and general areas on where to locate and catch fish!

Posted Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:26 am

For smallies get out on the main lake. In the early morning throw full sized chrome or yellow spooks in 5-10' of water. If no action move out to 15', then 20. Once the sun is up or if top water is not working throw a carolina rig. 1/2 oz weight 3-4' leader and either a baby brush hog or a 5" grub. Fish in the 15-25' zone. If you are coming up with a fine green type weed ( sandgrass) you are in the right areas. If it has some rocks ..... even better. Cast the rig out and let it hit bottom but watch your line and get an idea how long it takes for the 1/2 oz weight to reach bottom. Sometimes a smallie will grab it on the fall and swim off and your thinking...... how deep did I just throw in. Once it does touch bottom, do nothing for 5-10 seconds. The weight drags the bait down at the same speed until the weight touches bottom. Now all of a sudden the bait stops falling fast and glides. If you have thrown your rig anywhere near an active smallie, it will get eaten at this point. Reel up the slack and give a slow pull, If you feel any resistance SET the hook. If not make 3-4 drags and if nothing reel in and repeat. No need to work the bait all the way back to the boat. Please crush your barbs using this technique. Smallies can swallow your bait before you feel they are there. Do not set in an upward motion but instead sweep set to the side. Good places to start are the red and white and black and white markers you see throughout the lake. They mark the transition between deep and shallow water. Another technique that can produce especially on a windy and/or overcast day is to BURN a double willow spinnerbait back to the boat. Start by putting the boat in the 25' zone and cast in toward shore and the 5-10' zone. As the day gets alone reverse and put the boat in 5-10 and cast out into 20-30". Engage the reel as soon as the bait touches down and keep it moving fast just under the surface. You dont want it breaking the surface but you want to move it as fast as you can without it breaking the surface. 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz work best. White or Chartruse are the best colors. If you want specific spots pm me but I am leaving for the long weekend in an hour and wont be back till Sunday night.

Posted Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:43 am

Posted Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:52 pm

I just got back from spending a week up in Winni. We stay just outside of Lee's Mills. We were killing them on the sides of main channels around Smith Point with jigs, spinner baits and Carolina rigs. We also hit a few lily pads just outside the first channel outside of Lee's Mills, but that was during a lit drizzle. You can also try the islands in and around Ambrose Cove (be careful of sunken rocks with your boat!) Good luck!

Posted Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:36 pm

Great info/write up Rich….
I was in some Lake Winnie/Moultonboro coves (Salmon Meadow primarily) last week and went out 4:30 AM-8:30 AM and got 10 decent size smailies ranging from 1.5-4lbs all on a Mepps rooster tail lime green spinner. Also got few gator pickerels. Was fishing to the shore and slow retrieving back to boat at 3-4 foot levels in 8-15 feet of water.

Posted Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:28 am

I'll be doing the NEPVA tournament out of Moultonboro in early September, so this is good stuff. Thanks!

Posted Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:19 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links