Earlier this season, I bought a 10" Ron Arra Pro from Lamiglas to go with my 11"er. This rod, though I lost a bit of distance, made up for it in the fact that it gave better control, I could feel more on it, and with the reel, it felt half as light as the 11" setup.

Last week, I noticed during a retrieve that my line was coming in frayed. Confused Sure enough, the top guide was cracked and looked like the braid had been sawing through it.

When I purchased this rod, the store said that it had a limited lifetime warranty from Lamiglas. I went to the site and looked up their warranty and was sort of sketched out to see that they have, in addition to their warranty, a "pay 110 dollars and we'll replace it completely no questions asked" warranty program. Furthermore, there is a clause that says that the rod is not covered if it is deemed to be "normal wear and tear" or "abuse."

This rod cost me nearly 360 with tax and is a mere... 5-6 months old tops. Does anyone have any experience dealing with this company's customer service? How do I present a good argument when talking to them? I use this rod in the surf. It's got some nicks here and there. I'm worried that they're going to try to foot me with the bill and am wondering if any of you guys have dealt with Lamiglas, or another manufacturer, if you were successful in having it replaced, and how you went about it?

Posted Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:15 am

More likely handling damage than a defect but a co. like Lamiglas might replace or fix anyway. Braid doesn't groove modern guide inserts but they are often damaged or dislodged if impacted or jammed into a wall or ceiling or when thrown into the car. It'll probably cost u S&H and several weeks without rod. For the cost of tip top i would replace it myself but too each their own.

Posted Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:29 am

Definitely call them. 5-6 months is way too short of a time. You will probably have to ship it to them at your cost. If they deem it a defect they'll send you a new one free.

Posted Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:48 am

I thought about replacing the tip, but a.) I didn't know how that would affect the rod, and b.) the tip is not removable in any way I can see, it is under the glaze, glass, whatever you want to call it. I would have to break it off or melt the stuff around it? I'm not a rodbuilder, I have no clue!

You're telling me! When I bought this, I was sure it would last forever and be some sort of super rod that would last forever It's been everything but everlasting. I feel like all these companies first line of defense against warranty claims is to blame the consumer... The thought of haggling with these people on the phone is almost tempting me to pay the "no hassle" fee, but I can't justify spending that much on a rod that I could very well have an issue with a few months into the next season!

Don't get me wrong; these rods are the best I've ever used on salt... I did use it nearly every day for 5 months, but, still!

Posted Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:10 am

I would post this question on Stripers Online. There are a bunch of guys that build rods and there might be someone local you could take it to for the repair. It's a very cheap and easy repair that would save you time and money compared to shipping it in for warranty service.

Posted Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:26 am

So a little update.

I sent it in and it cost about fifty bucks to do so through UPS because of the size. I could have gone the PVC route, but was feeling lazy.

The guy I am working with is really helpful. His name is Chris Landry. Even though they deemed it to be my fault, they are replacing the guide and shipping it back to me at their cost. They even found guide 3 to be cracked as well and are replacing that too.

What can I say? Definitely very happy with the service from this company.

Posted Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:12 am

Lamiglas is a class outfit. I won a high end several hundred dollar (even without the guides, grips and reel seat) Lamiglas rod blank they 'donated' to a rod building convention a few years ago. My favourite rig, and I have several high end rods. This kinda stuff brings customers back. Fish with confidence!

Posted Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:17 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links