Asking around to see what main lines and what leaders people are using for Trout ? I Use Power Pro braid, Ande mono ( Pink)and Fireline as my main lines. I use a leader on all my poles tied with a small barrel swivel.. My leaders are all Vanish in 2 to 6 lb range .
Would like to know what other people use.. Thanks , Troutfreak

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:16 pm

For trout I use a light weight braid main line 12 lb.test, with a leader of 6 lb.flourocarbon I like Seaguar. I attach the leader to braid with a uni to uni knot. I use at least 15' leader so I have plenty of line to retie after catching fish or changing lures...

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:25 pm

For New York, I fished on this set up.
I used 8 pound line on trouts. I caught several over 10 pounds trouts in New York. Whole set up is on 8 pound line. no leaders.
but for trolling, 15-30 pounds. no leaders.

In Mass, I fished on this set up.
I used 4 pound line on trouts. Caught lot of fish up to 8.5 pounds. Whole set up is on 4 pounds, no leaders.
but for trolling, I can't say because I haven't trolling around this state yet.

Hope it is helpful for you!

p.s. the huge factor is the way how you battle with them. Most key to put low drag in first place and fish it. if you felt that fish is bigger, add little drag on it. You will notice huge different on big fish to tire it out faster. (Most people tend to worry when fish get burned line run. so they put max drag that your weight line can't manage to strain it. that is reason why line is broken in first place.) other factor is that you need around 200 feet or more on your reel to ensure that fish will not escape. Only last thing is fish can do is get unhook from you.

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:46 pm

I just saw your photos recently. If you consist catching that size of trouts. Don't change your set up. that is meant your set up is working well for you. Some people has their own preferences on set up like mine.

I haven't caught any big trout in mass yet. big one probably just hair over 2 pounds.

So, just keep fishing!

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:53 pm

have any trpoble with line twist with that setup? Thats why inuse the barrel swivel .. I have ben fishing that setup for years. Never tried the seaguar lines ..Really like the vanish .. Usually 6 lb early but where i fish. Swift River, the water is so clear i switch to 4 and sometimes 2 lb test in the summer..

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:28 pm

I never had any twisted on my line. not once at so far. Have been using for two years now. I used rapala, small/big spoons, and etcs. even using bass fishing sometimes when I am bored with regular bass fishing stuff.

I use Fluorocarbon 4 pound line. I don't know if it make any difference. Since I never tried other line.

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:38 pm

I have a love & hate relationship with braided lines so I always find myself going back to mono. I like using 4-6lbs Trilene Sensation for stream fishing. For laker trout I bump it up to 8lbs. I like using 3ft of Maxima or Seaguar fluoro for leader. Everybody has their preference.

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:55 pm

for lakers i use 8lb berkley nanofil and a 2 to 3 foot leader of 40 lb seagar fluoro. nanofil casts a mile and a half no matter how little weight is attached, its great for trouts cause you can cast small lures very far and has zero stretch or memory but its white so you need to use a fluoro leader if going for spooky fish

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Broosky- Nice. I tend to use clear or green colors line for fishing. So, I wont spook any fish.

My set up is explained on upper of this post. when I use senko or light/small lure. I can cast up to 120-150 feet away. At least, I guessed from my dock. my dock is exactly 60 feet long. I really loved it. Give me more time to figure out where fish are and what they are biting on. It does help increase my catch rate by little at each time I tried to figure them out. Now, I could read them and sometime got correct call on specific lures on first cast because fish was on my hook! haha

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 am

I use a Rapala knot and I believe this reduces line twist. It also gives more movement to the lure...

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:53 pm

johnyak

I use a Rapala knot and I believe this reduces line twist. It also gives more movement to the lure...

first guy i ever heard of using that knot lol. i forced myself to learn it a while back but never use it in favor of norman speed clips, they give the lure the same action as the rapala knot and have a 40lb break strength

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Thank you all for your Views on this subject..

Posted Sat May 04, 2013 12:54 pm

I caught 2 trout this season while using 10lb trilene XL clear/fluorescent blue mono, one single 1/32 size split shot 18 inches above a size 10 trout beads egg hook. For bait I used Berkeley garlic flavored trout dough.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links