I bought a lite action rod an reel-(4lb,6lb,8lb) , I'm looking for best line to use for 1/16oz - 1/8oz jigs . My brother-inlaw tells me that the Berkley NanoFil Uni-Filament Fishing Line with a leader would be the best way to go ,he has them on all his spinning reels and I used one when I was visiting them in Fl. I was amazed as how will it cast the lite jigs for brim fishing an saw him catch a good 2lb stripe bass with out breaking his line. But for the coast an doing some reading I heard they will break a lot at the knots? So I'm just looking for a second best line set up for my son an I because I bought 2 reg's one for me an one for him when we go out crappie fishing. And what should I get a 6lb or 8lb line ? we do catch bass an pickerel when we out crappie fishing.

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:53 am

I use suffix x2 braid 10 and 20 with a floro or mono leader. Casts well and dont need to worry about much. Its on two of my 1000 set ups

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:13 pm

So any kind of 10lb Braided Line with Flor Leader will work all right? I got my son a 8lb Berkley FireLine Crystal ,should I go with 8lb Flor Leader with it?

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Not all braid is the same. Some is smooth and casts well
Some not so much. I also use a heavier leader 16lb on my ultra lights because the knot is stronger and can withstand the slime darts and other things that can happen a little better. I tried iron athlete braid and was very unhappy with it for example

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:51 pm

For every day stuff, I find Ande Tournement brand to work especially well for 4 and 6 # test use. It's supple, tough had great knot strength and costs like $12 for 1600 yds. (Read: I can change it often.) That said, if trophy hunting in clear water I go to Yozuri Hybrid super-soft in 4#. Their 4# tests likes everybody else's 6# without the line diamiter. It's also aflourocarbon hybrid so it's very clear.

Posted Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:20 pm

tiny barrel swivel to connect my braid to leader on my ultralite poles . Also have been using ANDE Pink line in 4 lb test for many years .Never broke a fish off due to line failure . Catch trout on that rig by the hundreds each year ... Also use power oro braid in 5 lb test ..Its all about the drag setting ..

Posted Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:46 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links