Ive never ice fished before and cant get rig of this cabin fever the only way to is start ice fishing. My thought today was to to bring my 18volt cordless drill with 3 batteries and a hammer, chisel, 5in hole saw,5'6 ugly stick, out to the pond and drop shot some shinners lol. I don't know were to start and what to get and I'm clueless on this subject. If some one in the northshore area or for that matter almost anywhere in ma this weekend or next would like to teach me how that would be awesome I'm not looking for a handout I'm willing to buy bait and tackle w\e need for the trip and lunch. I'm just looking for a lesson on what to do if you like I have a spot not to far from me I could bring you. If interested you a can reply here or by pm. Ps I'm 21 and not that creepy.

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:32 pm

I think using a hole saw is not the best idea as the ice on the north shore is well over 6" and a hole saw is only what, 3" deep? a good idea though...you can pick up hand augers for 40 or 50 bucks at dick's and they will last you forever. The blades can be sharpened or you can get new ones and they're as good as new.

To catch fish, you can either get a jig rod or tip-ups. Tip ups are the way to go for bigger fish, and you can have 5 out at one time. Jig poles are good for panfish, but you can still catch big bass and stuff if you have the right set up. You'll need some hooks, if you plan on fishing for anyting with teeth, snelled hooks on steel leader are the easiest way to go. you could spend hours trying to learn about hooks/tackle to use, but just basic stuff works fine.

You will soon become addicted! I'm North Shore also, might be out this weekend, but not sure yet, have to help some friends move. I'll let ya know.

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:28 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links