As I peruse Craigslist daily (secretly at work), I'm looking for the best deal and people unloading boats they don't want to store for the winter. A couple of boats catch my eye, but I'm usually too late, so I'm thinking of expanding my boating search. I definitely am not buying new, as I compare it to cars, and way overpriced.

Since I fish with my kids, especially my son, does/has anyone fished with a Mako in freshwater? I saw a 17 footer today, but not sure about putting in it freshwater for LMB fishing. My though is I could do both LMB (my favorite) and Stripers when they run.

I am determined to get one by Spring, as I definitely want to start getting involved in the MAFF tourneys next season with the kids, or at least my fishing addicted son.

I'm thinking no smaller than a 14 ft. as the wife will surely want to get out on the water with all, maybe even the dog. So I don't think a fiberglass "true" bass boat (i.e. Nitro, Ranger, etc) is in the cards. More like Startcraft/Polar Craft side console types or the like, even though I personally prefer the large Jon's (but not practical for family).

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:15 pm

not sure about the boat of choice fiber cuts threw the water better but weighs more i.e. weight limit( less people on boat) and you will not be able to access some areas others can because of shallows i myself will have the same issue i turned a 1978 glass par salt water boat into a bass boat so you can do it [/img]

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:27 pm

if you are still looking in the spring I will be selling my 18ft lund prov w/ a 150 merc. Great boat just looking to upgrade to a 19 or 20 foot lund.

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:07 am

All my boats have been geared around family.
I target open bow or basically fish and ski.
I think 16' min to 20' max.

Aluminum = shallow draft easier to go into skinny water and durable if you bump a rock.
downside= high sided boat easily caught in the wind. very wobbly.
my 20' fish and ski could fish 4 adults easy. but when everybody decides to fish on the left you tilt the boat pretty good. Not unsafely but annoying basically.
Lunds are awesome and could be more stable?

Fiberglass= heavier, cant access extreme shallow ( i have no issues). Better in wind, more stable.
I would like aluminum for small pond but most likely will never go back. IMO

I have a fish and ski with 200hp. I can get anywhere fast and fish. I can do any kind of skiing needed. Besides the limited rod storage and huge front deck in my opinion it's the best of both worlds especially with a family.
Aluminum or fiberglass all good. just don't go underpowered. That stinks. You don't need to speed but hole-shot for fishing or skiing is best.

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:19 am

I've been on Josh's Lund and that's a cool boat

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:51 am

I have the 17' Alumacraft, mod-vee, side console shown below. I do like the boat but as some have said the high side light weight can be tough when the winds pick up. I do use a drift sock on occasion but that is a pain. The boat has a fairly wide back beam and is pretty stable but nothing like my buddies Triton or Z8. While it can get into the shallows I find I do not fish much in those shallows. On occasion it comes in handy like getting into the South Pond at Cochituate. The glass boats are like Cadillac's and mine is like a Wrangler.

With the 60hp I can go up to 37mph which is usually fast enough for the smaller lakes I fish in Ma. But when I do go on big water like Champlain you give up a lot of fishing time trying to get around. We fished in some rough waters on Champlain this year and I was pleasantly surprised that the boat felt reasonable safe skimming across the waves.

While I do have rod storage for up to 10 or 12 rods there are not storage compartments like a glass Bass boat has. I really like the durability and ease of maintenance of the tin boat.... I found with my old jon boat it looked great for over 20 years just power washing it every now and then.... no rugs, no wood, no upholstery other than seats. It is also pretty easy getting it on and off the trailer when alone, easy to handle. I am happy with it .... if I was to do it again I would probably go for the glass boat .... more comfortable, definitely more stable as a fishing platform, more storage.... plus ....I love speed and the rush of a high powered bass boat is AWESOME!

Hope that helps.... pm if you have any questions.

Tate

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:28 pm

NICE looking boat Very Happy

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:02 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links