I'm looking for a nice rod and reel setup for fresh water. I'm not a pro at choosing for a nice setup but anything that could handle a 7lb and up largemouth bass even though I'll probably not catch one that big. Thanks.

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:18 pm

depending on how much your looking to spend i would look into shimano reels you would be happy with anything your willing to buy and st croix rods are great as well!!!

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:19 am

bravo on the username, hahahaha

I just bought a revo s40 with the new bass pro bionic blade micro guide 7' med rod. great setup and it ran about $180.

or you could buy a combo off the rack for about $99

it depends on what your really looking for. if you want to meet up down at bass pro i'll give you the ins and outs on selection, i'm there quite often.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:28 am

Thanks for the recommendation and help but my budget is $200 max and I'm going to dicks sporting goods tomorrow in Nashua,NH and see what they have.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 am

I would look in to the Abu Garcia vendetta then it's a cheaper rod but it's really good for the money

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:29 am

basshunter93

I would look in to the Abu Garcia vendetta then it's a cheaper rod but it's really good for the money

Do you have the Vendetta? If so what do you think? There is a new one out and I was thinking of picking it up at BPS and doing the Rod Trade in.

There is also the Johnny Morris Rod on Sale and it seems like a good deal with the trade in. Anyone have insight on this rod?

Are you looking for a Baitcaster of Spinning reel?

You might want to consider looking into purchasing from somewhere like TackleWarehouse. A bigger selection than dicks and tons of reviews you can look at.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:41 am

Fisherman's Factory Outlet (ffo-tackle.com) has a 6'6" vendetta MH casting rod for $43, also a 6'6" med spinning rod for the same, they list for $80. I own a 7' medium-MH Vendetta casting rod and it's a great all around rod that gets a lot of use.

Almost forgot, if you bump your purchase to $50 you can get 20% off the order, so just buy one of each and you can get two rods for $69.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:50 am

Id probably go with a Shimano Sellus and a Shimano Citica or Curado

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 am

What type of reels are better for lures? Spinning reels or bait casting reels? I have not tried a bait cast reel yet but wanted to try it for the first time this year.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:08 am

Once you start throwing jigs or cranks with a baitcaster you won't wanna use a spinning rod again.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:10 am

bass2mouth

What type of reels are better for lures? Spinning reels or bait casting reels? I have not tried a bait cast reel yet but wanted to try it for the first time this year.

Dont go cheap on your first bait casting set up. I did that and it just starts you off with a handicap and discourages you. Most applications are a better fit for a baitcaster, as shawn said crank baits, jigs, spinner baits. Spinning rods have their place but for general use bait casting is the way to go.

If you are looking for a general rod/rule application look for a 6'8-7' Medium Heavy Fast tip rod. That will cover a lot of the lure applications you are looking to use.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am

Hey, my first baitcaster was an Abu Silvermax on a Berkley Lightning Rod. It was a great little combo that got me into baitcasting for the sum total of $12.50 (Dicks mega markdown). Even though I now have 7 baitcasters and have graduated to more expensive Revos I still use that combo for frogging. Sure it won't last forever, but it I sure wasn't going to dump $200 into a baitcasting setup without knowing if it was something that would work for me.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Alright so for the reel I should go with a bait caster. So what type of rod should i go with? A Casting rod or Spinning rod?

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:00 pm

There are a lot of guys that are chuckling to themselves right now. A baitcaster generally goes with a casting rod, a spinning reel goes with a spinning rod.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:02 pm

bass2mouth

Alright so for the reel I should go with a bait caster. So what type of rod should i go with? A Casting rod or Spinning rod?

baitcast reel goes on a casting rod. I actually have a brand new phflueger endeavor baitcast combo that my company gave me. I've never used it because the reel is right handed and I use left. It's your's for $25 if you want it. It's a 6'6" or 7' rod. I can check the specs when I get home.

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:07 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links