I used to see them years ago and always wanted to catch one. At the time of course I didn't have a fishing pole nor any inkling that someday fishing would be this much of a part of my life. Hell I'm this close to being pink slipped I'm so obsessed. WinkI decided to revisit this little river way park after all my Dr. appointments in Boston recently. I hadn't been fishing for long but I knew enough by now that these things would make mince meat of my sad little Daiwa Samurai rod. (I returned two with broken tips before I ended up exchanging it for my Ugly Stick which is awesome for the small to medium stuff.) I finally purchased a nice Field and stream graphite rod combo with a Shimano Caius baitcasting reel for 38 bucks after mixing a few promotions Dicks was having online. Yes a $130 rod for 38 bucks. I'm the discount queen. Several birds nests later I have finally become confident enough with it to take it out for a test spin on some of these carp tomorrow weather permitting. This place is literally infested with the things. I'll be happy to catch anything over 5lbs. even though that's still kind of small. It will still be more of a fight then I've encountered so far. I mean honestly it's been 6 years in the making and there's still plenty more sunny days. I sure hope I have so pictures for everyone. That would be exciting!

Has anyone had any good luck here? Any suggestions?

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:38 pm

5lb Carp pull like 10lb Bass

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:54 am

As you mentioned the place is infested with them. You shouldn't have a problem finding them. I wouldn't even cast until you see a big one.

The muddy river restoration project should improve the fishing in there once its done.

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:51 am

Nice deal on the rod and reel. I got my first baitcast combo at Dicks a few years ago, a left retrieve Abu Silvermax and Berkley Lightning Rod, for $12.50, and it had a $20 rebate to boot. Still have it and use it too.

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:15 am

i live right by there. they are definitely everywhere and there are some giants.

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:39 am

I see people catching decent sized carp there all the time. I have yet to try. @samf-I live right there too (small world).

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm surprised I haven't seen either of you guys. I drop my rod in Jp pond a lot. I'm the only girl you'll most likely run into so I'm hard to miss. In all my days of fishing around the city I have never seen one other woman with a rod in her hand besides me. I get asked if I'm from the south a lot because women don't fish up here much.

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Will keep an eye out for you. Haven't been to JP recently, been focusing on the Charles and the resevoirs (Brookline & Chestnut Hill).

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Been Meaning to check out the Chestnut Hill Resovoir. Not too hot on the Brookline Res. Makes me want to hook joggers more than fish.

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:34 pm

A few people have messaged me asking me where the Muddy river is so I have decided to make a pinpoint map. No sense in hiding my spot since there are enough of these guys to go around and anyone in their right mind wouldn't dare eat anything out of this place. Smile

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202850934120828325353.0004e415678fdf35531c2&msa=0&ll=42.342319,-71.107566&spn=0.001848,0.003098

So I got slammed with stuff and didn't make it to the river until late evening. Unfortunately by the time I got there the sun was so low I couldn't sight fish the carp anymore. I ended up sitting there for an hour until I got bored and hiked the long trip to JP pond. I managed to scare up a bunch of baby bass. For some reason they like to bite lures the same size as themselves or it could just be something about the clackin minnow that does it. I managed to almost get a bat in the face twice. The winged type of bat that is. There are lots of bats there at night.

I will try again as as soon as I can. I was really disappointed that I didn't get one this time. Le sigh.

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:09 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links