Hi All,

I'm heading to Lake George soon and would like to try to catch a Lake Trout or Landlocked Salmon from the Kayak.

I fish mostly for Bass and that's primarily what my rods/reels are for. Can I make due with some of these for Trout/Salmon fishing?

What's a typical setup like?

What tackle should I purchase? Not looking to spend a ton of $ but enough to give me a chance to catch a Laker.

Any advice is appreciated.

Posted Fri May 27, 2016 10:04 am

if the water is bellow 60 you can find them in relatively shallow water! sun up id slow troll for salmon along any deep steep drop offs! mid lake humps and other structures wouldnt be a bad area to try as well! as the water gets warm and lake traffic becomes heavy you got to go deep!

salmon will hang out around the thermocline while lakers will be in the deep deep water! troll for salmon and jig for lakers!

FISH FINDER IS YOUR BEST FRIEND!!

Posted Fri May 27, 2016 2:44 pm

lakers love the bottom!

Posted Fri May 27, 2016 2:45 pm

To get deep you have to have the right gear you could get away with possibly a three way set up with a three way swivel with a one or two ounce Weight attached and then a leader for your lure, you will be deep enough because you will be in a kayak, other than that you can jig bottom! Good luck lakers are a hell of a fight!

Posted Fri May 27, 2016 4:51 pm

heavy metals bucktails or you can do as said above 3 ways. or you can do an egg sinker on the main line and add a swivel then tie a leader.

salmon can be line shy so use 4-6 maybe 8.
lakers wont be to bad as far as line shy

Posted Fri May 27, 2016 5:01 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

So if they are line shy I was thinking that I could use my drop shotting setup (med light rod). Would that be OK?

I guess I was thinking of something like the 3 way setup you described to help me get deep enough. I also saw some stuff about that dispy diver too. That was an intriguing option.

What kind of lure would i use with a 3 way setup? Or would I be using live bait?

Can you recommend a couple of specific lures/jigs?

Really appreciate the guidance

Posted Fri May 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Jig some Lakers off the bottom mark a couple big ones sitting in 115ft of water at the q the other day. Try the drop shot method but with a 1-2 Oz weight and a minnow type plastic 3-5 feet above. Or just a 1oz jig off the bottom

Posted Sat May 28, 2016 8:05 am

A good sonar will be your best friend. If you want to troll you can get a Torpedo Diver which acts like a downrigger with very little drag. http://www.torpedodivers.com/torpedo.asp

As others have said, jigging spoons or other metal works very well. Depending on the time of day and when they are actively feeding you can find them anywhere under the thermocline. Look for schools on your sonar in > 50ft.

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:04 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links