I was loking for some info on Carp fishing in the Fitchburg area? I have never even tryed for a carp and would like to change that. so any info for me would be great.......
Thanks .

Posted Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:58 pm

Get a big rod and reel with a lot of line, and have fun! From experience, I would say either buy some rod holders or get a few good sticks to hold your rods and keep an eye on them...it sucks when an $80 setup takes a swim and your not watching it. Don't forget the cold beer too. sorry I can't help you with spots...

Posted Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:03 pm

edit

Last edited by rippinlips13 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:00 pm

Yeah heading to the Worcester area would be best. There is plenty of access to areas, though it might take a bit of exploring. The M'mack offers some great sport but it is not a river for first timers.

Be sure to check out the hair rig, some bait ideas and of course think a bit about fish care. The Carp are indeed hardy but they are big and can be hurt pretty bad by simple things that can be avoided. Few simple things to keep in mind. I would suggest no less then 15 pound test line, Carp are hard runners and will test any line/knot strength. You will need a net, able to handle 10-20 pound fish..and you will catch them that size with a bit of patience. Picking up a camping roll is a very good way to keep the carp off the ground (unhooking mat) for cheap. Most of them are roughly 5 dollars and will give you a place to lay the carp when unhooking/photos while causing minimal distress to the fish. Carry them in the net or weigh bag to and from the water. When a 10 pound fish wants to go, it wants to go regardless of how hard you try to hold it. Please DO NOT lift them by the gills like smaller fish. You can check out some of my photos or videos to see how to better hold them for pics and such.

I know the above may sound a bit preachy but I have dealt with many damaged or dead fish, often times due to misinformation or ignorance of anglers wanting big fish but not knowing how to handle them. I am a dedicated catch and release angler and work hard to help the fishery prosper and grow.

This forum has some good info as well as www.blackstonecarp.com ( I know shameless plug!) not to mention we host various workshops and a derby so if the drive isn't so bad ya might come down for a weekend and fish with some others to get a feel of what goes into carp fishing.

Outside of that feel free to ask any specific questions. I'm always willing to help if I can.

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Thats great thanks for the info. I can see a trip in the works! Laughing

Posted Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:09 am

thanks for the info, i may have to try that next time up fishing up in mass

Posted Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:50 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links