Hey! I am new to the site and looking for some major education in real fishing! I have always loved "fishing" that is putting a worn on a hook with a bobber, throwing it out and relaxing with a choice beverage and one of my sons is very happy with that approach as he's in it for frogs and what not anyways, however I just adopted a little boy who wants to do some real fishing!!! He loves it and thinks my methods are boring! So I guess what I'm hoping for is advice and an instructor! Lol. I'd even welcome some great reading material on where to start. We are in southwick ma and I'm not even sure where to take him fishing or what else to use. He likes catching bass or really anything big, I like catching anything we can actually cook and eat! Seems like all we can get is blue gills or pumpkin seeds... Any advice would be welcome. Thanks so much in advanced!
Kerry(fishin momma)

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:27 am

Welcome Kerry! Kudos to you for being such a great mom! There was a recent thread from another noob asking about what gear to start with. I think the advice boiled down to "go to Dicks or BassPro, tell them you have $100 budget to spend on a freshwater spinning outfit for bass, line, some Senko rubber worms, hooks and maybe a few crankbaits." They will set you up. Then you and your son can search Youtube and watch videos on how to rig and fish the Senko worms. It will be a fun bonding moment.

As for good locations for shore fishing near you, you can search under the Find Trips tab above to find trips and locations near you. Others on this site will soon chime in with some suggestions.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:53 am

bloomagoo

Welcome Kerry! Kudos to you for being such a great mom! There was a recent thread from another noob asking about what gear to start with. I think the advice boiled down to "go to Dicks or BassPro, tell them you have $100 budget to spend on a freshwater spinning outfit for bass, line, some Senko rubber worms, hooks and maybe a few crankbaits." They will set you up. Then you and your son can search Youtube and watch videos on how to rig and fish the Senko worms. It will be a fun bonding moment.

As for good locations for shore fishing near you, you can search under the Find Trips tab above to find trips and locations near you. Others on this site will soon chime in with some suggestions.

This is exactly what I would have said. Bass Pro Shops also offers free clinics on fishing (plus they have a really cool tank with local fish and a trout pond) The closest I can think of is in Foxborough. Check it out.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:36 am

Welcome Ko,
Bloomagoo gave you great advise. How old is you son. I ask because the length of rod may need to be shorter for young kids. The easiest reel to cast is a spinning reel, for a rod medium action 5 1/2' up to 6', line I would suggest mono 8 lb test, lures plastic worms work great for bass you may want to google rigging plastic worm. You will need some weights to assist with the cast of the light worms.

You should check your area for baitshops they would know the best ponds and baits to try.

It's great of you to adopt.

Good luck, have fun, tight lines...

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:39 am

Make sure when you buy weights (if you do get some that is) that they are tungsten as lead is illegal in mass. spinnerbaits rubber worms senkos and inline spinners are all great to use from shore crankbaits are pretty tough from shore and if you gonna be fishing in the evening over the summer make sure you get a Jitterbug in black. Its such a classic lure and it works amazing and its a very simple lure to work you just reel it in so it makes a plopping noise. Def. would suggest a spinning setup with 10lb mono and just try out what feels comfortable for him.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:48 am

All great advice, if he struggles with the spinning rod you can always switch to the Zebco 33 spin cast

http://www.basspro.com/Zebco-Original-33-Spincast-Reel/product/73160/

good luck

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:54 am

The good ol' Zebco 33. I haven't thought about those since, well, since I was a kid!

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links