Can anyone tell me if the traverse wind on the new reels is suppose to traverse when you are casting? Seems to work OK when reeling in, but it is stationary when casting. When the spool release button is pushed, it seems to lock in its last position. Thank's ahead of time so I don't forget. (a lot of senior moments) Dave

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:44 pm

I'm new to baitcasting myself but I've found that it is stationary because the winding mechanism cannot move as quickly as the spool lets out line. I think it would take away from the performance of the reel if it were meant to move with line coming out.

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:40 pm

That is correct, the level wind does not engage during the cast, it sits stationary in whatever position it was when the thumb bar was pressed.

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:48 pm

There are only a couple of brands that offer that feature.I can't remember the name but Denny Brower uses them.Now I remember,it's Ardent reels.I think they only make right hand reels though.I can't use the rod in my left hand even though I'm right handed.Some companies have developed a type of y shaped system so the line will release back and forth,Ardent is the one I think.

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:50 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links